something else to think about...
this morning i went to wal-mart & took brayden to preschool in my workout clothes...
this morning i went to wal-mart & took brayden to preschool in my workout clothes...
no make-up, yoga pants, running shoes, hair pulled back, etc.
i really didn't care...how i looked, who i saw...i was just out doing what i needed to do.
i admit that i don't want to be "that mom" who looks disheveled all the time. but i also don't want to be "that woman" that has to be perfect before leaving the house. i've been "that" before...and it is exhausting.
now...according to Clinton & Stacy from TLC's "What Not to Wear"...this is a big "NO, NO". you aren't supposed to look like you just came from the gym...
now...according to Clinton & Stacy from TLC's "What Not to Wear"...this is a big "NO, NO". you aren't supposed to look like you just came from the gym...
even though i did. Granted...I try not to sport around it his ensemble all day...
but some days that is just how it goes. I have since showered and appropriately clothed myself...but the question still remains.
is it frumpy, laziness or self confidence to not really care?
i did watch an Oprah a while back that was focused on the "do's" of a wardrobe. they stylist said that it is okay to wear the yoga pants during the day...but NOT with your sneakers. wear them with a pair of cute ballet flats. which because of that show...i now own 5 pair of! (thanks Old Navy & Gap)! yes, it does make a big difference on the entire look and the way i feel while i wear them. I feel put together instead of like I am going to the gym. i also learned that just because something is "trendy" does not mean that it is cute for me to wear. it may not work with my body type...or my age!
for fun...i want your opinion...is wearing the "workout clothes" around town frumpy or self confidence or plain lazy? how do you label yourself when/if you do this?
is it frumpy, laziness or self confidence to not really care?
i did watch an Oprah a while back that was focused on the "do's" of a wardrobe. they stylist said that it is okay to wear the yoga pants during the day...but NOT with your sneakers. wear them with a pair of cute ballet flats. which because of that show...i now own 5 pair of! (thanks Old Navy & Gap)! yes, it does make a big difference on the entire look and the way i feel while i wear them. I feel put together instead of like I am going to the gym. i also learned that just because something is "trendy" does not mean that it is cute for me to wear. it may not work with my body type...or my age!
for fun...i want your opinion...is wearing the "workout clothes" around town frumpy or self confidence or plain lazy? how do you label yourself when/if you do this?
in addition (3:23pm)...after reading the comment posted by Rochelle...
when i see other moms around town in their "lazy" clothes...i do not condem them or think ill of their attire, i mearly smile and think..."i know how you feel". in my tiny little town...i do not often have the opportunity to put my 'fancy' clothes on or dress up more than my cute new ballet flats or flashy pumps would allow-they do dress up a pair of jeans quite nicely. Sundays of course. i do try to do my hair, make-up and put a cute outfit together most days (5 of the 7)...but those other 2 days...i just need to take a step back and not take myself so seriously.
afterall...my husband has his degree in apparel merchandising...i can't frump too much! i can't have him dressing better than me every day!
13 comments:
First off, thanks for your orders! I will get that second one in the mail today. I did make a connection with the Haley name but when I saw your address I figured it was just a coincidence! I don't know any of Sarah's younger siblings. I only knew her older bro. Is that who you married? Do tell.
About your post....I have so many conflicting opinions about it. For me, I think I fit into the "self-confident" / "don't care" /"lazy" category. At this point I am going to go mostly with lazy. I am not particularly fond of "getting ready". Its just a whole lot of work! When I see other Mom's in their workout clothes and undone hair and faces I smile on the inside because I know I am not alone and personally I think most of them look great. There have been times when I've been out for the evening and I spot the sweatpants wearing people. Now, unless you just got out of the hospital, there is no excuse to be wearing sweatpants at that time of the day. They send the message that they have pretty much given up. I hope I don't portray the "I've given up"
look. I haven't. I'm just waiting to get some Botox so hiding my wrinkles doesn't seem like such a daunting task. ;)
Rochelle...
yes...I married Matt.
I love your comment...no, I haven't given up...but sometimes I just need to take a step back and relax and not take myself so seriously!!
Can't wait to get the hair goodies!
A few funny memories from high school come to mind when I think about him.
Well I saw you today and didn't see the pony, just the hat. You looked fine, just busy. LOL Myself, I think I was sporting that ponytail. I try to put a decent outfit on and do my hair and makeup most the days of the week and Sunday but Saturdays I typically let it all go. You need a day off sometimes, that's my opinion. I had dog and yard work stuffs to do today and couldn't see a point to getting "all dolled up" to sweat on it. LOL I vote that it could be any of the three options, depending on the day or the woman. I blame it on 'mommyhood.' FWIW, I would say you are far from lazy as you're usually looking cute and put together...makes me want ro buy some ballet flats, actually. ;)
BTW, that's was me, Elizabeth. :)
ya...the pony was the morning then I tried to "hide" behind a hat...darn, didn't work! ha ha
I love getting ready for the day. I like the feeling of wearing something cute. But I usually get ready for the day after I go to the gym. then after the gym I usually do some errands, no need to go home to change for that. plus then I have to unload and load up kids one more time, I will pass on that. Then I also have to pick up Camden from school. I do feel bad that these people have to see all sweaty! But I do what works for me. I think everybody should find what makes them feel good. And that may change day to day or at different seasons in our lives. I do love What Not to Wear and I think about that occasionally when I am running around town in my work out clothes. But that is why try to get cute work out clothes! :)
Sorry about this is so long! :) Ps i love ballet flats too!
Lately I've been trying to get some make up on each day before I go sweat it off at work. :)
Really just because I've started noticing the bags & wrinkles more & notice how tired I look without my make up on. We have a mutual friend who - to me - looks older for her age and it's because she looks tired. I don't want to be like that.
I needs to gets me some ballet flats! Yours are UBER CUTE!!!
Wow, you just all think about it a lot more than me. I guess I should be a little more concerned about my appearance...ha ha ha.
I have never thought you to be frumpy! I onthe other hand have only a few t shirts and some fleeces that I tend to wear over and over! Its just easy and I don't go anywhere for anyone to care! I do have to have my make up on before I leave! I'm not a fan of my naked face! I just need new clothes!
Crap. You would have to write this email NOW! I just spent ALL day yesterday in my workout pants and sweatshirt. Granted, I had a horribly busy day running (not literally, of course!) around, but you know, I didn't feel too bad about it because I know the other 6 days out of the week I WILL get dressed (and at least try to fool everyone I don't spend ALL day in my sweats!). Half the time when I see other moms running around in their sweats I think, "dang, didn't make it to the gym AGAIN today. But she did." Just go for it girl, but make sure to put a little lipstick on before the hubby gets home... ;)
For what it's worth, here's my opinion... (sorry I have so many and they are sooo long!)
I think if it's an occasional errand on the way home from the Gym, it's totally understandable! (Who wants to get all showered and dressed up cute for a trip to Costco, just to load and unload groceries in your "good" jeans?) Or if you are spending the rest of the day at home anyway, but have a quick place to run... no worries! (For me it's the Pet Store... a 5 minute run-in for more crickets for Spike, the boys' Lizard... Nope, not dressing up for that.)
I think it becomes "frumpy" when it becomes a habit and it's all the time. You should dress appropriately for the activity you are participating in. If you are going "out to do errands around town" then dress like someone the store clerk should pay attention to and want to help, but if you are running out for more fertilizer and going back home to do more yardwork, grubbies are fine!
I also agree that you should feel great in your work out clothes! Buy cute things that fit well and flatter your imroving body... (I don't think your hubby's old T-shirts fit either qualification, so stay away from those...Clinton & Stacy would cringe for sure!)
Your husband and children deserve to know and see the beautiful woman that you are, so take time for yourself, even just a few minimal minutes a day!
Nothing wrong with getting the kid to preschool in your workout clothes! Being in your workout clothes means you do WORK OUT which is a good thing, a sign that you are looking after yourself! Be proud!
Cheers, Susi
Post a Comment