Drew had his Pinewood Derby yesterday. He is in the local city pack since he is in Tiger scouts! He LOVES going to Scouts, and we love to see his enthusiasm and love for Scouting at such an early age! I wonder where he gets it from? Scout Master Daddy?
For some reason, the derby cars are worked on at the very last minute, this time was no exception. Drew sanded his car for 3 days and prepped it for painting. Orange and brown are his favorite colors, and I was not surprised that he chose those for his car. They cut out part of the bottom of the car to insert the weight, and it was perfect. Drew was so excited.
For some reason, the derby cars are worked on at the very last minute, this time was no exception. Drew sanded his car for 3 days and prepped it for painting. Orange and brown are his favorite colors, and I was not surprised that he chose those for his car. They cut out part of the bottom of the car to insert the weight, and it was perfect. Drew was so excited.
The track was amazing. The 4 lanes were hooked up to a laser which triggered a time clock and at the end was a digital read out of the cars placing 1-4. Each scout raced their car 4 times. Drew won each race, and also had the fasted track time. He won a trophy for having the fasted time for his Tiger Den. Then they had a 'race off' with the 4 fastest cars, one from each Den. Drew also won that, he was so happy.
The Pack also had an Open Class race for those who were not in the Pack...siblings, parents, etc. Morley raced his car and also set a track record. Their cars were made with regulation materials, I guess they just had a little extra 'umph!'
We wanted to see how close their speeds were, they were just a smidgen apart.
Morley's average speed was 171.9 mph. His total time for the 4 races was 11.500 seconds.
Drew's average speed was 171.4 mph. His total time for the 4 races was 11.535 seconds.
It was a very fun day for the family! Having 2 boys in scouts is very busy, but so rewarding. Two Pinewood derby cars down...11 more to go!
Drew & Matt working on the car
the finished product
Drew with his car & trophy's
Drew & Morley together with their great cars & awards
Morley with his car & trophy
9 comments:
Got to love the pinewood derby! Hunter won best in show for his car he made...maybe I'll put it up on my blog. Have you seen the flick...Down and Derby? It is hilarious spin on the pinewood derby...great family movie...Congrats to your boys!....We have cross-overs at the end of March...so Hunter will start Webelos....
How fun! I had to make a pinewood derby car last year with a boy in our ward. It's alot more labor intensive than I thought it would be. It turned out pretty good though. I was just glad he didn't come in last. Congratulations on your cars boys! They look great!
Gotta love the boys in scouts. It's so cool that they are close in age and can share these times. They both look so good in FULL uniform. The boys in our den just don't get it. Our derby is this Thursday - a Stake event. I can't imagine how it will work out with all those boys. Give them both a big hug from Nana and a congrats. We are so proud of them. What fun!
Way to go Drew, that is so great! Make sure and thank you Dad for all his help too. Love ya,
Pa Perry
11 more! LOL, you've got an awesome family :) That's so cool your boys like to do that kind of stuff. I was always severely jealous that the boys got to do derbies and at that time, girls didn't even get to do Achievement Days. And in YWs, we learned how to bake pies instead of going on winter campouts. Now I'm okay with that, lol. I'd rather bake a pie.
I'm sure the boys just love scouts and the special time with Matt. I'm excited for my time to come down the road.
Good Job Drew!! Its always fun to have a little competition between siblings!
Tyler has his derby this week and he made his into a camo hummer! Funny boys!
That is so cool! Love the cars! I love that your boys get to do that with Matt. I am not sure if I am ready for the scout days!
Sweet cars, boys! WTG on the awards too!
Post a Comment