"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Monday, September 29, 2008

Fill Your Lamps!

image courtesy of WWF.com


If you have heard the Parable of the 10 Virgins (Matt. 25:1-13), then you know that we must all be constantly making sure we have oil in our lamps. You don't just dump a jar of oil in your lamp, it must me carefully monitored, making sure there is enough to sustain.

Semiannually in my Church, there is a world-wide Women's Conference.

I had the opportunity to attend this conference Saturday night. Our video feed didn't cooperate during the broadcast, so we had to just listen. Maybe it was a blessing, I listened more intently than maybe I would have if I was 'watching' the conference. The closing speaker of the evening was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. He gave an amazing talk on our individual worth as women, and how we all posses wonderful and immeasurable talent (whether we recognize it, or not). His words apply to every woman. And every woman seems to have the unfortunate habit of comparing herself or her talents to others. (myself included). It seems we all naturally do it. "Her house is cleaner than mine." "Her children are better behaved at church." "She is much thinner than me...and she doesn't even workout." "She has the talent for (the arts, cooking, writing, mothering, managing, doing her hair, decorating, gardening, staying in shape, scrapbooking, blah blah blah), and I totally don't have that talent and never will."

In President Uchtdorf's talk, he states that we are all—every woman—daughters of our Heavenly Father with INFINITE WORTH. All of us experience feelings of unworthiness, even when we seem to be trying our hardest. We are much harder on ourselves than anyone else is!None of our trials are insignificant, and there are ways to to find hope and peace and joy in times of distress. God's greatest happiness is our happiness. He actually says that every woman is critically important to God. Critically important! We all have an inherent wish to create. When we create something from nothing, there is a deep sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. That doesn't mean we all are artists in the typical sense, or amazing chefs, or have other typically obvious, tangible "creative" talents. Some of us do have those abilities. But others have valuable and vital talents in some other capacity, and often we don't recognize them or cultivate them. We may excel at our career, or are very organized, great speakers, or peace-makers. Making a smile appear on some one's face is a creative talent.

President Uchtdorf says, "Don't let fear of failure discourage you from creating." He says not to listen to the critics—whether that voice comes from the outside or in. I know that women have great worth—that we are cherished and prized by our Heavenly Father.

To hear President Uchtdorf's talk, visit HERE for the broadcast.

***********
I remember being told in one of my Young Women classes...years ago that,
"GOD DOES NOT MAKE MISTAKES." We are the way we are SUPPOSED to be. If we are critical of ourselves, we are being critical of God's creations! How powerful is that?

We sang this song in Relief Society yesterday, and it really struck a chord with me.

**********

As Sister's in Zion

As Sister's in Zion, we'll all work together;
The Blessing of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.

The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim:
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.

How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.

text: Emily H. Woodmansee
Music: Janice Kapp Perry


So...all of the WOMEN out there that are reading this, YOU are awesome! We have an amazing responsibility on this earth! Seek comfort through prayer when you need extra support.

I have a quote on my wall that says:

"When life gets to hard to stand, KNEEL"
Pin It!

7 comments:

Christine said...

Amen. I completely agree with you, I LOVED what Pres. Uchtdorf said about being creative. I didn't get to hear parts of it, so I hope to get a transcript and re-read as often as I can.

It was a good session, and I'm so glad you got to bring a friend too! ;)

Darci said...

What a great reminder Ali. Thanks. It is hard not to compare ourselves and have doubts and we all need reminders of our worth.

Anonymous said...

Amen to the that sister(in-law)!

Joanne said...

I am so happy that the church is stating in such strong terms the huge value of women in the church and our culture. Thanks for putting this on your blog.

Dad

Courtney said...

I loved his talk! It was totally something I needed to here.

Her Royal Highness said...

I loved this talk, too! I loved his "definition" of creating. When I'm camparing myself with others (like your wonderful decorating skills), I feel inadequate. But Pres. Uchdorf reminded me that I create happiness by the way I help lighten the mood of someone who may be sad. I might not be the "best" at some things, but that doesn't mean that I haven't created something anyway.
YOU are awesome, too!!!!
Thanks for this post. I'll refer back to it on my down days!

me said...

I have the same quote and love it. Some days are harder than others to see yourself as awesome, but I agree with everything you said. As for the amazing responsibilities and need for prayer and support, I couldn't agree more. Mothering is the hardest job I've ever experienced in my life, and the most fufilling! Thanx for your post, it was inspiring. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...