"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

B-I-N-G-O chore cards

get ready...this just may change your life!!! Honestly!

My sister Darci, made some awesome BINGO chore cards for her kids last fall. I have been "meaning to do it" for my kids ever since and actually have been asked at lease once a week to do them. The problem was, I didn't know how to incorporate their "must do" daily chores onto the BINGO cards. Darci's kids are 3 and 5 and didn't have the same chore responsibilities as my older ones. So...I just kept putting it off, and putting it off, and putting it off.


UNTIL...


Darci came to visit for Drew's baptism!!!


She sat down and just did it all, with input of each of the boys!

HALLELUJAH!!


She saved the day and figured out my dilema and made them all fun and cute so I could get started on them ASAP! CAN I JUST TELL YOU...THEY WERE SO EXCITED!!!


Here is how it works:

They have their "bonus BINGO" chores which are their daily chores. They must complete these chores AT LEAST five out of the seven days to have the "fun" BINGO items count. For example: if Morley only did his chores four of the seven days and he had a blackout on top...he would receive NO TOKENS. Bum deal, but that is how it goes.


It has been THREE WEEKS of almost complete perfection! The first week, Drew had a black out on Wednesday...and we "cash in" our tokens on Sunday. They come home, do their homework, their daily chores and THEN they can choose whatever they want from the "fun" options!

Here are the charts for my kids:








So, their tokens are colored popsicle sticks. Each Sunday night we count up the BINGO's or if they have BLACKOUT and they get their tokens. The kids can choose to "cash them in" or "save them" for a bigger reward. I have a tote with simple cheap items costing less than $1 for them to choose from if they have four tokens. Candy, army guys, bracelets, puzzles, stickers, etc.



It hangs on the wall in my kitchen on this fun piece of sheet metal I found at my hardware store. We have a bunch of sticker books and they just put their own stickers on when they complete one of their tasks. They are laminated so we can take the stickers off each week.



This REALLY has changed the whole chore doing, fighting and threatening if you don't issue in our home. I get a thrill out of watching them get the tasks done and they are excited to do them! As I watched Morley read three books to Ella and then Drew read two books to her, I was overjoyed! It takes a lot of hands on from me too, but I am loving that side of it too!
Pin It!

19 comments:

Jill said...

Of course I want it!!! Email me!

MamaPeckham said...

I want Ella's bingo card! What a great idea Alison.

Justin Allen said...

I love this idea.I really like the chore of good language.I wonder if this would reduce fighting and/or black-eyes(thankfully only 1).I cant stand Will sometimes. He is so annoying.I could really use some peace(not that we don't have any).I like the 30 min. of QUIET TIME.Please email my mom the 'Bingo' sheet.

Justin Allen

Annie said...

I would love one! What a good idea!

Amber Smith said...

I want one too! You and Darci are BRILLIANT!!! :) What a great idea!!!

**hope Matt is feeling better :( We had our Development meeting today - and when I asked "Where's Matt" and got the reply "He's sick" ... I knew then that I shouldn't have asked! Argh!

Sarah J. said...

Uh, yah... for sure! Thanks, girl! Yet ANOTHER great project from Alison! :)

SparkE said...

What a great idea! Way to go Darci! I would love a the info Alison! Thanks for posting!

Maran said...

I love it! Would you mind emailing it to me too? Maybe I could get it set up this week while we are on spring break. Thanks for sharing!

Darci said...

I'm so glad the boys took to the idea. I just wish I had more time to finish jazzin' them up. They aren't as fun looking as I wanted to leave them, but totally work. I love that you made a big board for them. Keep it up! I'm so glad you see the benefits from it.

SJB said...

This a fabulous idea. Yes, please send me an email of the charts to sidboyle@gmail.com. My little girls
will definitely go for this. Thanks so much for the idea.

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Ummmm Hello!!! Darci needs to start making these and selling custom made for people. After she makes me one of course LOL no I will totally pay her to make me one up. What a fabulous idea!!!

Jenni Call said...

I Love IT! Go Darci!

Darci said...

Wait, this could be a profitable business!!! No more emails to friends with the work already done. Okay, I'm teasing . . . I think. :)

Cook Family said...

Yes I want it !!! I hope it changes my life too!!! jo.jer@hotmail.com. btw all of your creations are absolutely amazing. i am always in awe of you!

Joanne said...

What to go for doing this Alison, what a nice gift for the Haley's Darci. I know how hard you worked on it. Dad

Her Royal Highness said...

Okay, Darci is seriously awesome for even thinking this up and YOU are even awesomer for sharing the idea! Of course I want copies.
I'm so optimistic now! YES!!!

Takara said...

What an amazing idea!! I will try anything to stop the whining about chores. Please send it to me: mikentakara@hotmail.com You are awesome and I wish I lived closer to you! I need to order some cute things from you asap! My girls would LOVE it! :) Thanks again!

Lynae Horiuchi said...

Alison...what a GREAT idea!! I would love to have a copy if at all possible :) Hope all is well with you and your family.

Joanne said...

I've been wanting to ask you how it was going. So glad the kids are working so well with the idea. Many busy hands make the house run more smoothly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...