**warning**
This is a 'blurnnal' entry as to document a current event, with pictures.
*
*
*
*
Henoch-Schönlein purpura is in our house again. Can you pronounce it?
Here you go...say "hen-awk shern-line purr-purr-ah".
You can read more about it HERE. Don't worry, it is NOT contagious!
Brayden started showing a few spots last Tuesday on the way home from our Utah trip. It looked like a light rash. Wednesday we knew what it was, only because Morley had the same thing at exactly the same time last year. He was feeling fine, no fever or discomfort...just a few polka dots. He did a cough, goopy eyes and a runny nose...but it was totally unrelated. That was just do to a lot of late nights, playing outside and being on vacation!
Wednesday and Thursday I had him take it easy so we could just get rid of his cold, but the spots were multiplying. I wasn't worried since we knew what it was. He was feeling much better by Thursday evening but Friday morning he woke up with a bad tummy ache. Brayden ate a tiny breakfast that morning...and then the eating boycott began. He had nausea and vomiting, even without eating and he was in a lot of tummy pain. He just laid on the couch and slept and watched movies for 3 days. The spots started to fade on Sunday and after church the missionaries helped Matt give him a wonder blessing. While on the couch Sunday evening, Brayden leaned over to me and said, 'Mom, I know Heavenly Father will help me feel better'. What a great example of faith!!
We decided that if he didn't start eating Monday morning we would take him to the doctor. After 3 days of no food (only Pedialyte) he had 1 egg and 1/2 piece of toast for breakfast. The spots were nearly gone and he was feeling much better! He ate little amounts during the day and even changed his clothes and played outside for a bit.
This morning he woke up and was totally back to his normal, Brayden self. Smiley and silly. HUGE breakfast, snack, good lunch, snack, snack, snack, dinner, snack. During the day, however, the spots returned in full force. We think it is because he is on his feet and the blood is circulating correctly. His tummy ache is gone but he is now more polka-dotted than ever. His joints are a little stiff and swollen but he is hanging in there.
We'll see how he is tomorrow and possibly take him in to the Dr., just to rule out any other issues that can be caused by this. As the 'research' states, it can last from 4-6 weeks and it most common in 5 year olds. I have hardly accomplished anything the last 4 days, but that is okay. My first job is to be a good mommy, and my sick little boy needed me.
Here are some pictures. All of the spots are under the skin, so it is not a bumpy rash at all.
****WEDNESDAY UPDATE****
He woke up this morning with an increase in spots. By afternoon they were all the way up his legs, on his arms and his bum. He is really stiff and 'sore' but they don't 'hurt', at least that is what Brayden is telling me. Maybe a visit to the Dr. tomorrow. Morley's were not nearly as bad, I am a little nervous now. I'll keep you posted.


17 comments:
That is just WILD! I'm glad he's feeling better but I'm sorry he has to put up with this. I have never even heard of this. Based upon the father/son connection, it must have some genetic links? Crazy stuff and I hope it's 4 and not 6 weeks for you this tim!! *HUGS*
Wow! That is crazy! I've never heard of it either. Glad he's feeling better now. Hopefully it won't come back again!
Oh My goodness Alison!
what the heck! It looks painful! How did he get it? Is it only on his legs? I too have never heard of it. I will have to look at your link you added! Glad he is feeling better!
He says they spots are not painful but he is stiff in his ankles. They are much more purple today. We had never heard of it before Morley got it last year. It is only on his legs from the knees down and on his elbows. Thank goodness he is feeling much better and eating.
Now, that is crazy! I've never heard of such a thing. I'm off to go check my 5-year old...! ;)
Get better soon little buddy! Love, Pa Perry
Poor kid. Glad he is starting to feel better!!!
Poor little guy!! Hope he feels better soon....
wow, that is crazy. never ever heard of that. i hope he is completely better today!:)
I have never heard of that either! Something like that would be so frightening. I am glad you knew what it was and could keep a level head!
Hugs and kisses from Auntie Sarah. :)
We are praying that this will go away SOON. Lots of love from Nana.
I have never heard of that! Poor little guy! It really looks so painful! We will remember him in our prayers!
Oh my goodness, that sounds and looks horrible! I'm glad he's doing better, but I'll keep you guys in my prayers anyway.
Oh my gosh! Poor little guy. Hope it goes away soon!
That doesn't look like fun! Thankfully it wasn't causing him much pain or discomfort.
Post a Comment