"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, April 5, 2009

surviving the storm

Weather in Nebraska can be wild! When the snow falls, the wind blows! Not just a breeze either, but gusts up to 50 mph. Yesterday, the predicted storm actually arrived, in full force. It snowed ALL day long, the wind blew and it was an official blizzard. Matt is out of town with the boys, and they ended up getting snowed in where they went up north. Thank goodness they were staying with someone at their house, so they are safe.

Ella and I just hunkered down here at home staying warm. The snow was beautiful, until it was covering every window and I couldn't see out. Talk about feeling trapped! I put Ella down for bed at 8:00 and went upstairs to waste time online! About 8:30, the power went out. I felt my way down the stairs in the pitch black. I found my candles and lighter and was able to see again. I made sure Ella was snuggled into her bed and prepared for the power to be out all night and for the temperature in the house to plummet. I found the propane heater, just in case it got too cold in the house.

It was a strange feeling to be so isolated! Every window in the house was covered in snow and ice so I couldn't see anything outside. All I could do was hear all the wind and pray that the house wouldn't get too cold for Ella and I. We couldn't leave the house or call anyone. Times like this I wish we had our cell phone!

So what do you do when it is only 9:00 p.m., there is no power, you are home alone, the boys took the portable DVD player, and you are too anxious to sleep? You clean by candlelight! I cleaned my bedroom, the bathroom, kitchen and dusted the family room! I even made some hair clips for Ella! By 10:00 p.m. the power was still off, so I gathered up my candles near the couch and started to read. I read until I fell asleep. I woke up when the power came back on around 11:30. I put in a movie since I couldn't fall back asleep...then the power went out again. I am not sure what time it came back on, but I was happy to have it on when I woke up this morning.

These are pictures I took this morning on our street.


Posted by Picasa


Matt and the boys are still stranded up north in Chadron since because the roads are still closed. The sun is out, so I hope they open them as soon as they can be cleared!

I can't get out of our driveway, so I am thankful that I can listen to General Conference online! Thank you Crystal for calling to check on me this morning!!
Pin It!

14 comments:

Mackay Family said...

Oh my! You are really snowed in! That is so much snow! Glad that the boys are safe and that you and Ella are too! I don't think I could sleep either! I love that you cleaned by candlelight!

Cook Family said...

Oh wow! That is crazy amounts of snow. I will pray for all your boys to get home safely and soon!

Matt and Carla said...

HOLY SNOW! stay safe and warm.

Lori Davis said...

Oh my goodness!! I hope that is not headed my way! You are amazing! I might go out and buy a propane heater after reading this... cleaning the house by candlelight??? WHAT?? I am so glad you are safe... I hope your family gets back soon... I am going to call you tomorrow. I tried you last week, but I got no answer and no machine... do I have the right number??

Sarah J. said...

Jeez, that is some crazy weather you're having! At least it was General Conference weekend and you had some "good company!" Doesn't make you feel quite so bad about staying inside and watching the BYU station all day! And BTW, when our power went out and I was by myself, I pulled out the portable movie player (that luckily had a charged battery!) and watched a movie on that. Kept my mind occupied so I didn't "freak out!"

Darci said...

Yikes! You really have crazy weather over there. Good thing you are such a brave a capable woman. Nice job being so productive during the power outage. Keep warm!

Hadzters said...

Fun pictures- I wanted to send my kids out in one of the drifts for a picture but afraid they would get lost. :) How did you like the ice drifts this morning?

Maran said...

That's insane! (And I though CO was bad!) I miss the warmth of New Mexico. . . sigh.

me said...

And now we're one big slush pond! wheee :) Glad the boys made it home ok!

Joanne said...

I had no idea you had such a blizzard. And what's this about cleaning by candlelight? Crazy lady! Your weather really does swing from one extreme to another. Glad you're safe and the boys made it home okay. Mom

Jill said...

Holy Snow!! Dang that's a lot! Did it not freak you out to be in the dark with no one there?! I would have ran and jumped on my bed and thought bad things were going to happen to me! I am not a fan of being stranded...even if its in my own home! Glad you made it out alive :) And cleaning by candle light?! I guess when no one else is there to entertain you you do what you gotta do!! :)

Courtney said...

Wow, that is some snow! That would be scary and so cold.

Christine said...

Your dilemma reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day that said, "A clean house is a sure sign of a broken computer". As long as you didn't freeze, the power outage was good, right? Lol. I'm sorry! That would totally stink! Im glad you're okay.

Aaron & Nancy said...

That is a crazy amount of snow for April!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...