"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

5 years...in NEBRASKA

It is amazing to me that we have been living in Nebraska for 5 years. I guess I should say, Matt has been living in Nebraska for 5 years, today. Five years ago, today was Matt's first day with a new company, in a town and a new state...far, far, far away from family. He came and picked the boys and I up in Washington the end of May and we drove out as a family.


When we decided to move to Nebraska to work for Cabelas, we joked with friends and they said they always heard of people moving FROM Nebraska...but never TO Nebraska! Moving from the beautiful NW with mountains, trees, the ocean and GREEN all around to tumble weeds and bluffs and lots of brown has been an adjustment. The weather is CRAZY!

It has been a good move for our family. We grew from a family of 5 and all boys to a family of six with a little girl. We have grown together as a family through joys and trials. We do so many things together as a family and the boys have a great opportunity growing up in a small town. Matt has acquired new hobbies...and sometimes I wonder where my fashion hubby went when all I see is CAMO! We appreciate our family so much since our visits are never often or long enough.


Around 6,000 people live here...with the nearest TARGET 110 miles away! My van could probably drive itself to Utah and I long to take my kids back to NW for a great visit!


What I know is, this is where we are supposed to be right now. Our family is meant to be in Sidney, Nebraska...maybe for reasons we don't even know yet. Home is where you MAKE it, and where you want it to be. It is crazy when I think that we have lived here longer than anywhere else during our 11.5 years of marriage. Who would have thought.



Pin It!

11 comments:

Hadzters said...

Maybe you are supposed to be here for other people like me :) to keep me from going crazy..... actually it's growing on me- If I could just get family to move out here or at least closer!!! and the mountains, and lake powell, and zion, and snow canyon, and red cliffs, ok so maybe it's not growing on me!

Andrea said...

That's awesome! Great post, can't believe its been 5 years since we've seen ya :)

Jenni Call said...

You are a trooper! I hope we last that long here...course that means you have to stay here for 5 more years. It helps to have spring here finally and green stuff all around. Glad you DO live here!

Courtney said...

Target is really that far! Ohhh! I bet a small town would be fun though. I know I think we have lived in TX for longer then anywhere. It is not were I thought we would be but it works!

Jill said...

I remember when you guys told us you MAY be moving to Nebraska! I have to say I prayed you wouldn't leave! And then I remember when you said you were moving, the time flew so quickly! I remember getting a phone cal at a hockey game we were at from you saying you were in labor and headed to the hospital to have Brayden! And that was just a few short weeks before you left! I still remember standing in your front room and it was empty and we just shooting the breeze trying not to think that this was our last moments being together! We waited as long as we could for Matt, Morley and Drew to come back, but we couldn't wait any longer because Tim had to get back to work. I remember we hugged and said good bye and managed not to cry until we were out of each other's sight! Of course I remember a ton more! But i am glad this has been a good move for you guys! You have become quite the crafty lady since you left! I miss you terribly and can't wait till we can meet up sometime and do whatever we want!
Love ya tons!!

Cook Family said...

It is a great feeling to be at peace where you are! You made me think back. . . . and we have been here 7 years now. The 5 before that we were in Pocatello going to school.

Mackay Family said...

Loved that post! Target is 110 miles away??? I might die. I agree that home is where you make it! Kudos to you for driving to Utah that many times...it is not a fun drive!

me said...

Who'd a thunk it, hmm? ;) Well I for one am quite glad you suffer, I mean ENJOY this city with me and the rest of them.
p.s. I've got you beat by a week, maybe two! We moved here May 14, 2004!

Darci said...

You make friends so easily and adjust so well to change, so it's no wonder you have a great outlook to your small town living. Sidney definitely seems to be treating the boys to lots of fun outings. We must plan to see each other soon.

Krista said...

I enjoyed your post! Oh my goodness, Target is 110 miles away??? I hope you have a wal-mart close (or something like it).

Joanne said...

I really got emotional reading your post. I miss you so much. To think you were less than three hours away and I didn't come down nearly often enough. We really do need to work something out so you can bring the kids to Nana & Pa's for a nice long visit. Maybe next summer. I love you guys and I'm so glad you have learned to blossom wherever you are planted. Even if you have to battle the crazy weather. Love you, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...