"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Thursday, April 7, 2011

another derby

We did it.  We finally had our Pinewood Derby for our church pack!  We had to rescheduled twice and the boys were dying with excitement to finally have the chance to race their cars!  We had awesome parent volunteers to make the night a success and a lot of enthusiasm to go around.


I asked Matt to be in charge of "releasing" the cars.
He thought it would be great to give us Nascar information
and funny car race jokes.  He did a great job!
I am grateful I didn't have to get in front of everyone and lead the group
in silly scout songs.  More people laugh than sing along...


Our pack is growing and it is fun to have these boys participating in scouts!  This year was the first pinewood derby for eight of the scouts and I hope it was a great experience for them.  Every boy was given a certificate and trophy for participating.  We did not do a "fastest car" or first, second and third place this year.  I think there were some disappointed parents but overall we thought it was better for the boys to just have a great time and not worry about who was winning the most races.  Their smiles were all I needed to see to know they were having a great night. 



Matt and I made this felt covered board to hold the cars during the derby.  It is always exciting to see the car designs and the imagination of the boys and their dads.


I was trying to make sure everything was going smoothly, and I hope it was...
Being a bad mom, I was too busy and didn't even get a picture with Drew or a picture of Drew and 'his' car.
Drew was the only one that was in this derby out of our boys and Brayden let him borrow his car since Drew's was having "issues".  He did great and those tiger stripes were a hit!  He was given the certificate for the "best paint job".

Do you remember the movie Troop Beverly Hills?

 


There really needs to be a "cute" option for the women scout leaders.
I nearly "bedazzled" my scout shirt.  Too bad you cannot alter the uniforms.
It is oh-so-tempting...but for now we'll just 'cutesify' with a belt.
Shelly Long was a much cuter leader! 
Phew...another one down and now I can concentrate on Girls Camp.  About a month ago I was called to be the ward Girls Camp director.  I am very overwhelmed with the whole thing but I am so excited too!  Now with the derby over I hope to focus more on the girls and make sure they will have a wonderful time at camp the summer!
Pin It!

5 comments:

Erica said...

Can Matt come and do our derby?! Ours was LAME-O!!! They did no announcing and in a matter of 15 had all the cars raced. If we weren't watching the screen we had no idea who won, because as soon as the cars hit the end 2 boys picked them up and rushed them back to the start. It was EXTREMELY disappointing for my little first time scout. :(

Sherrie said...

I loved that movie when I was growing up!!

You make the uniform look great too. There's only so much you can do with tan :)

And I know you will do great with girl's camp. You are wonderful and it will be wonderful.

I miss you. I miss seeing all the people in the first picture you posted. It was fun to try and pick people out of it.

Aaron & Nancy said...

You have a big group of boys and I love that Matt was in charge for you. I bet he loved it!

You look beautiful in your scout uniform!

Her Royal Highness said...

Ah, the dreaded scout uniform. I agree, all you can do is bling up other things anad hope for the best. You look great!
that looks like it was a great time! So often emphasis is put upon what place your car came in, who was first, who is best... good for you guys to make it a night of fun for the boys!
And I loved troop beverly Hills!!!

Jenni Call said...

So hilarious! Loved the derby, the entertainment, and your uniform.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...