"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Morley's 1st Fly Fishing day

being cool on the water
Morley’s first all day fly-fishing extravaganza including his inaugural use of waders and float-tube.

Labor Day, 2009. Delaney Buttes, Colorado and the North Platte River

We camped Sunday night so we could hit the water before sun-rise. Morley was pumped to be able fly-fish with dad, and fish with waders, in a float-tube. He had no problem getting up and getting my XL-Tall neoprene waders on. He couldn't wait to get in the water. Talking fly options/tactics over with to Joe W. it was decided chironomids under a strike indicator was plan A. I wanted to get Morley into fish plus avoid any casting and line management issues of stripping big & uglies!

At first he was excited to be in the water but the slow boring method of watching a strike-indicator took its toll. I’ll be the first to admit my chironomid mojo lacks. So we changed to a big’n nasty and started to kick across the lake towards Joe W. I told him if he kicked across the lake I would tow him back.

When we arrived on the other side Joe said the chironomid bite had slowed and was currently stripping a black b&g. However, he was going to switch back. Joe was kind enough to rig Morley’s rod with what was working earlier and showed him some finer point of staring at the strike indicator…

Shortly there after the magic started to flow. Morley caught his first “all by himself fly-fishing” trout. I was so excited for him. I really wish my father, his grand-father had been there to share. He saw the strike indicator drop below the surface and raised his rod. He did a great job stripping the line in, and keeping tension on the hook. A couple times my instincts took over and I started coaching him to let line out, keep the rod up, etc… I didn't want him to lose it. If he looses a fish because of poor line management it’s a direct reflection on his ancestral heritage. The funniest part was watching him try to get more line in only to realize the strike-indicator wouldn't let him. Joe was close and helped net his prized possession. Ironic that the oldest, scariest looking fish in the lake was his first. I think it only had one eye.
first “On his own, float-tub’n” trout
Now Morley believed in the chronomids!!! He was in a groove. Within 45 minutes he hooked into 5 trout the largest being a beautiful 20+ inch rainbow that took him for a ride. He had the ultimate pleasure of burning fore-arms and trying to choreograph where to hold the rod, how to hold the rod, while still fighting the fish. The video says it all!!! Watch his rod!!! He didn't lose a single fish he hooked. After the 3rd fish the “trash-talking (Perry)” genes started to reveal themselves. “How many have you caught old man?” And so it begins………

Monster 20+” Rainbow
The bite did slow and we wanted to hit the North Platte. I wanted to increase my Czech-time and try a prototype Czech-nymph rod, Joe wanted to swing streamers, and Morley wanted to drift a “royal”. We packed camp and headed to the canyon.


working his way to the next riffle
finished for the day
At the canyon Morley was a trooper in his phat breathables. After a short while his “look” had an anti-poser feel to it. From the pickup we had a ½ mile hike down to the water. He fit the scene, chill’n on the river, casting dries. The water was really low, and clear. Fishing was poor, but the adventures were huge. We enjoyed the evening together as we started to fill our memory buckets. There were many times that I would watch Morley false casting to dry his fly, and instantly remembered evenings on the Fall River, Henry’s Fork, or Robinson Creek with my father. If only there had been a caddis hatch, and rat-burgers from the St. Anthony Maverick for our ride home the circle would have been complete.

~Matt
Watch some videos of Morley catching his fish-
Pin It!

7 comments:

The Haley Family said...

I did "post" this for Matt...and I wish to have changed a few of his comments. The Perry's don't trash talk, seriously! What is that about? We are very competitive though! I'm so glad Matt takes the boys on trips to start filling their 'memory bucket'. Drew and Brayden can't wait for their trip, and they won't let him forget either! Love you babe!

Lori Davis said...

I love how this is from Matt. I love how Morley is following in his footsteps and that Matt was thinking of his dad at the same time. Such a little man Morley is becoming... love watching him growing up. I am seriously getting teary eyed as I comment just thinking back to the sweet little babe we could not get enough of! Love him!

Jenni Call said...

Tell Matt his entry ROCKED! Way to go Mo!!!!

Darci said...

Matt's sentimental comments are great. The boys are lucky to have this fun hobby to enjoy with him. I have no doubt that Ella will have her turn too.

Joanne said...

Great job on the post Matt, but I'm not very familiar with the language you were speaking. Mo, you are growing up way too fast. I also got teary eyed as I read the sentiment in the post. Nice job and the video is awesome. Love, Mom

Joanne said...

Nice job Morley, what a great day. I enjoyed your post Matt. I would have been great to have your Dad there....
Dave

me said...

What in the HECK did you just say, Matt? Did you just call me a trout? I'm lost. I'm glad you boys had fun...you did have fun, right? I did understand that much, I hope. LOL ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...