"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, September 20, 2009

fall sewing projects

click on pictures to enlarge

I have had fun since school started sewing some fall outfits for Ella and being creative, again. It has become kind of therapeutic for me. It is also SO MUCH CHEAPER to make her these cute outfits then to buy them from a store! I think the most an outfit cost me to make was $10 and the least was $4. For the entire outfit! LOVE THAT! The two skirts on the top are called 'market skirts'. You can find the tutorial HERE. It was fun to try something new. I added the brown ricrac to the pink long sleeve shirt which added a little more personality. The skirt on the bottom left was one that I had to remake because of a mischievous 2 year old with scissors. She cut the first one...2 minutes after I finished it! I love the new version better too! I LOVE the polka dot skirt and shirt! I bought that fabric while in Denver last week and couldn't wait to make something! The shirt cost .50. It took me a few days to decide what I wanted to applique and finally settled on a lollipop. It is extra fun because there is batting under the fabric and it puffed out as I sewed the swirls! FUN, FUN!!


Ella has 5 new beautiful hats, thanks to Jenni! You need to visit her Etsy Shop and she takes custom orders! LOVE THEM

and...what should I make out of this yummy fabric? I have one yard of it. Skirt with a matching top or a dress? It would have to be a SUPER EASY pattern for a dress, it actually completely freaks me out to think of sewing a dress! I couldn't resist the fall colors and apple designs. Suggestions welcome!

There is a close up of the lollipop shirt, YUM!! The top right shirt is a tuxedo style with YOYO's. My cousin Emily made a shirt for her daughter using them and it peaked my creativity. I found some on Etsy...much cheaper to buy them made if you don't have all the fabric. The shirt cost $3 and the yoyo's cost $3...pretty cute for $6 and a matching clip!! I found the striped shirt at Target for $2 and added a cute monogram out of brown minky fabric! Next...a few fall appliques hopefully this week...turkey, acorn, candy corn, witches feet and a cute mushroom.


Pin It!

10 comments:

Hoffmann Family said...

Love, love ,love! I am going to have to copy your idea of putting the ric rac around the bottom and sleeves of the shirt! Where do you get your fabrics at, I recognize some of them from Hobby Lobby. The apple fabric is darling, I need to know where you got that as well. Just call me copy cat! I think you should challenge yourself and do a dress. If you just get a pattern that says easy on it to begin with(simplicity or butterick are great), and follow step by step, you can totally do it. That is always what I do when I make a dress. If you can make those detailed skirts, I know you can do a dress. I just finished one for Madison today, I'll post it later.

Joanne said...

Oh my talented daughter. I am so proud of you and your creativity. What fun to have a girl to sew for. Nice job! Mom

Mackay Family said...

I love that last fabric...either a dress or a skirt would be adorable. That lollipop shirt is do die for with the rickrack. You need to open an etsy shop with that creative mind of yours!

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Seriously, you need to open an Etsy shop cause I would totally buy something!! So cute!!
We could do a trade too. Art for clothes ;-)

The Haley Family said...

Emily, thanks! The only problem is that I don't buy extra fabric...I only get what I need. I could change that! Thanks for the inspiration!

Hadzters said...

Ok I love the duck one and the lollipop one- you didn't show us the duck one the other day!

Darci said...

Yes, now I have more supporters of you starting an Etsy shop. Go for it! I love it all. A little tank style dress would be so cute in the new fabric. Then you can layer with different shirts and sweaters.

Jenni Call said...

Alison...I LOVE the lollipop shirt. I will restrain and NOT copy. LOL. Maybe we should make a peasant dress together with the apple and owl fabric. So fun. You are really taking off. Maybe you should take over my Etsy shop and help me out. It may be worth the extra money with Christmas around the corner. I'd be willing to hire your skills...wink.

Lori Davis said...

You are amazing!! I love all of this... I wish it would inspire me to try something, but I will just let you do it and continue to think it is fantastic!! Good job, Ali!

Aaron & Nancy said...

If you ever decide to open a shop, let me know! These outfits are all adorable. I think I may have to visit your friend's Etsy shop and buy one (or more) of those hats. They are adorable! Will Ella really leave them on?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...