"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Monday, August 17, 2009

what was old, is new again

I was lucky and inherited an antique treadle sewing machine from my Great Grandmother after she passed away. It was been hanging out in my garage for nearly 4 years...crying out to me to be taken care of properly. My intentions were good but I just never DID the project. The waiting is over! While Matt was gone I tackled the project and in 3 days it was finished. Small creatures had taken up residency in the sewing machine...they'll have to find a new home this winter. Their cushy bedding is now at home in my shop-vac. eewww...
I am hoping to receive some answers to questions about the sewing machine.
1. How old is it? about 80 years old
2. Did Grandma O. use it to sew your clothes. Grandma used it for making 'repairs' on her children's clothes and sewing curtains.


BEFORE


AFTER


All of these things were left in the drawers. I think it is just so cool!
on display in my home now. I LOVE it!
Pin It!

18 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow...way to go Alison! It looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! I'm trying to finish up the nightstand I have from her.

alison said...

You did a GREAT job! I remember my gma having one of these in her living room and hearing that she used to sew on it when she was younger. And what a find with all the accessories--can't wait to hear the update. :)

Jenni Call said...

The sewing machine looks so awesome! You did an exceptional job restoring it. Hopefully all the accoutrements will stay in the drawers! I hope you get more historical details on it! Pretty much you rock...

Hadzters said...

Pretty dang awesome. That's something you'll treasure!

Hoffmann Family said...

Good work Alison!

Mackay Family said...

What a beautiful piece to have in your home! So special to have her old sewing machine. I love old pieces like that.

Aaron & Nancy said...

I love it! I recently inherited a few things from my Grandma and I love them. It's nice to have something in your home that has sentimental meaning. You did a great job on it!

Darci said...

Wow! It is beautiful. You are lucky to have that special piece.

Matt and Carla said...

That is amazing, I absolutely love to mix the old with the new...I'm all about that!!!

Joanne said...

Nice job Alison! Email Grandma to get more details on it and its history.

Dad

me said...

So totally cool! I love it and am so impressed with how great it turned out! Kudos, your Gma would be so happy.

Christine said...

Wow, I am very impressed! You did a fabulous job and it looks gorgeous. How awesome to have a heirloom like that in your home.

Emily Anne Leyland said...

That is really really neat! You know I love it ;)

Joanne said...

Wow, I am so impressed. I remember my Grandma Hales having on almost exactly like it. I don't know what happened to it. Very nice. I didn't realize the machine was still in it. We need to get that up and running. Then you wouldn't need to bring your 50 lb. machine down the stairs everytime you do a project! Nice job. Where do you get all of your energy??? Love you, Mom

Cook Family said...

You are amazing! IT looks gorgeous in you're home!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

wow, gorgeous! my mom has one just like it, maybe i'l inherit it someday...here's to hoping! I got my title font and the tutorial to change it here:

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html

yours is cute, is it your handwriting?

Her Royal Highness said...

I remember seeing it during Jenni's baby shower and wondered why I had never seen it before. DUH! It is simply beautiful! Well done You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...