"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, May 8, 2011

momma mia

I love Mother's Day.  Honestly, I do.
Not because I have crazy expectations of gifts, breakfast in bed and a "day off" from
my mothering responsibilities.
I love it because my kids have excitement they share with me and I receive a little
EXTRA love, hugs, snuggles, and smiles.

I love to read other "mommy blogs" and there are several I check often because
they are inspiration, uplifting and share great ideas and insight.
A few weeks ago I was reading a blog post about Mother's Day and what this mom shared about her own 
mom growing up.
Instead of waiting to be honored doted on by your family on Mother's Day,
take a minute as a Mother and honor those that made YOU a mother.
Your children and your spouse.
So...that is what I did this morning. 
I woke up early and made a yummy breakfast
for my kids and for my husband.  I took joy in the surprise and enjoyed sharing with them WHY I was making them breakfast on Mother's Day. 
I wouldn't be a mother without them, so it seemed appropriate to show my gratitude to them.  It really started our day off special and they could feel my love for them.

Thankfully, they were mostly cooperative for pre-church pictures...




There are some days when I wonder if we will all survive the day and there are those days when motherhood is amazing and just as I had imagined it.  The good days far out weigh the hard days but mothering is a hard job, one that isn't glamorous, pays the big bucks and often leaves you completely exhausted.

*a funny and unsuccessful picture taken ourselves*
Morley and Brayden...sorry you were cropped out.

BUT...
I love my kids more than anything and I am so thankful to a wonderful husband who
honors me and respects me.  He makes pretty cute kids too.


I was able to enjoy some time outside in the glorious sun...and took a nap in my lounge chair resulting in a little sunburn.  Then I took another nap on the couch while Matt and Ella made special cards.
I have five new flowers to plant tomorrow and cards to put in my keepsake box.
A few new books to read, new hanging baskets full of colorful flowers and a pretty new necklace made my day complete.  I will admit, I love the acts of service and love more than gifts that I open. 
Today was a great day.

Take some time to read THIS post and THIS post and THIS one about motherhood. 
I think they ring true for most moms and about expectations.  You'll laugh, smile and something might just touch your heart and make this day more joyful for you. 

I am blessed with a wonderful mother and so thankful for the amazing example she was to me growing up and how much I rely on her now.  I am thankful to Matt's mother for raising a man that is a wonderful father and husband.  There are so many friends that are wonderful influences on me and help me to be a better mom, wife, daughter and friend.  I am thankful to all those women in my life.  I honor YOU today!

Happy Mother's Day!
Pin It!

7 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

As I was reflecting on my day last night, the same thoughts came to my mind. I should've honored THEM instead of the other way around. I wish I had that insight the night before so that I could've made the day a little more special for all of us!
Thank you for the post. It was really great!

Darci said...

I love your reflections and way of honoring the kids and hubby. Being a mom is pretty great as are you of course!

Takara said...

You're an amazing mommy and have such a positive outlook on life! Thanks for the post... I needed that gentle reminder! :)

me said...

My Mothers' Day started on Sat when the kids brought me breakfast in bed and the gift/card they made at school...they just could NOT wait til Sunday. LOL I was excited b/c they were excited. Motherhood is awesome, hmm? :)
Happy Mother's Day, Ali! :)

Jenni Call said...

I love your POV! The role of mother in any situation is so amazing!

Joanne said...

Ali, you really do amaze me. I'm so glad you were able to start your day out in a meaningful way and surprise your family. I know they love you and appreciate all you do for them. Thanks for the special tribute, too. I love and admire you for the unique and talented woman that you have become!

Shannon@Chickens in My Kitchen said...

Thanks for linking up! I really enjoyed this post.

And I think I may have that shirt in your picture too....Loft?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...