"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Friday, May 13, 2011

middle school bound

As Morley's sixth grade year nears the end
I am forced to admit that he is growing up.
He is leaving "elementary school" and
entering "middle school".

His last semester of sixth grade the students have
been involved in a S.M.A.C. program.  Remember
the D.A.R.E. program?  This is a similar program
standing for Students Making Awesome Choices.
A local detective met with the students each week in
"workshops" teaching them about drugs, alcohol,
Internet safety, cell phone safety and bullying.

Morley and his fellow classmates "graduated"
from the program last week and it was a great
ceremony honoring the students who made the choice
to "say no" and be good examples to their community.


He also ran his Presidential one mile in a time of 8:09. 
His good friend Noah ran the last little bit with him full of smiles and encouragement.


I am especially thankful for the good friends Morley has this year. 
For the first time, he has his own "brothers from other mothers" and
they are absolutely hilarious together!  It has made ALL the difference
to have these boys in his life during this sixth grade year.


Then...they had a S.M.A.C. track meet.  It was an all day event at the high school.  The students have
been practicing their events for weeks and finally had the opportunity to compete and earn medals.
Morley chose to do the 2 lap walk, 400m sprint and the 800m relay.  He earned a 3rd place medal in the 2 lap walk, 4th place by 1000th of a second for the 400 m spring and 3rd place in the 800 m relay with his three buddies.  The day was gorgeous hitting temps of 85 degrees.








This morning I had "muffins with mom" at his school bright and early at 7:15.  I really enjoy the time I can spend with him away from home and just talk with him.  He's at the "my parents might be cool but I can't let anyone else know I think that" stage.  The muffins were yummy and I had trouble limiting myself to just one!
Tonight is 7th grade orientation...I'm SO not ready.  He admitted this morning that he is excited but scared at the same time.  I hope we can get through this next strange, exciting and new stage of parenthood.

Pin It!

6 comments:

Darci said...

Oh, you are definitely still cool! I can't believe it's time for middle school - yikes. He looks happy and having good buddies always helps.

Her Royal Highness said...

Oh my word. He's going into 7th grade? That is crazy!!! SMAC, I like it!!! I'm part of a committee here that we're trying to help the kids and address bullying mainly (but there are other character things in there). I think I'll have to do some research on SMAC and see how we can implement it in our schools.

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

I loved that picture of Morley and Noah running the race. Friendly competitiveness!! It's crazy how much people have grown just since I was there!

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow up! It's been fun getting to know Morley in scouts. He's a great kid!

Aaron & Nancy said...

I'm right there with you with Justin entering Middle School, but we're moving and just learned middle school begins in 6th grade at our new school so Elizabeth will be there too!

me said...

Yay for good buddies!
WTG on the SMAC, that's an awesome program. I can't imagine you didn't post a pic of your sunburn from that track meet tho!? ;)
Good luck to you making peace with middle school, mama, that's a big step. *HUGS*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...