I learned he is still a colt because he is only four years old.
While visiting with Greg and Maleia at their place at the end of May, they told me they had something exciting to share. A million different things can run through your head when you hear a statement like that! Greg just flat out said, "we want to give you your own horse". I think I just sat there, with a "HUH?" look on my face. Matt is just grinning from ear to ear, he was totally aware of this...which is why I received cowboy boots for Mother's Day. Maleia was just grinning like crazy. I just said, "what did you say?". He repeated himself and I think he said, "his name is Danny Boy, he is four and a light palomino, and he is yours if you want him." I think I finally mumbled out, "are you serious? Really?"
Holy smokes, of course, right? I still can't believe how generous and amazing Greg and Maleia are. They named him Danny Boy because he was born the day their daughter Dani was born, so he is super special to them.
I 'met' him for the first time on Memorial Day. He has no training, so he was quite skittish. It took about 25 minutes before he would let me softly touch him for the first time.
I think we look pretty cute together!
I think he is just gorgeous! His skin is black so his coloring is very striking!
I did think of a new name for him, which took me about three weeks to do. After much thought and conversations with family, my dad and sister helped to inspire the name:
SIMON'S GRANDE FLAIR
or "Si" for short
Let me explain...
I grew up at the base of this beautiful mountain: Mt. SI
My horse's name was GRANDE Finale
and FLAIR is a synonym for gift, which he is.
Si and I started our training in the round pen this week, and I am so excited at his progress. Now I can walk right up to him and scratch and rub him. We can put the halter on without a problem and just yesterday, by the end of our training session, he let me scratch his face. That is HUGE progress! Maleia is my instructor and she is amazing! Our horses growing up were already broken and trained, so I am clueless. With her help and the DVD's from Clinton Anderson Si and I are in great hands! I could ride him for the first time in just a matter of a few weeks, at least that is what they tell me.....
Here is Si at his home, the Titus's
So, this is my new exciting adventure. I am so lucky to have this opportunity and to have an amazing friend to help me along the way! Grateful doesn't even begin to express and define my feelings of this amazing gift. I will forever be thankful.








14 comments:
He is handsome, for a horse. Your huge grin is enough to see how pleased you are. What a fun, exciting journey for you.
Beautiful horse indeed!!! Love the name and how much thought you put into it- I love that it has real meaning for you. Enjoy him- a good way to help pass some time this summer.:)
You riding again is fun to think about. You and Grande were quite the pair, all the county and state fairs were great. Good Luck with Si, he is a great looking horse. Dad
How amazing is this? Wow. What a neat, neat surprise! They knew how much you would appreciate him, I'm sure - and you look great with him! I can't wait to see pics of your riding! This is awesome!!! Congratulations on your new adventure with Si!
Wow! What an amazing set of friends! It's fun seeing you back with your horses. I nearly forgot how much a part of you they are. Happy riding!
Ummm...can I borrow your friend for a few weeks?
What generous friends - they're keepers! Good luck training him. You will both grow a lot!
YAY!! Ali is going to be back in the saddle! I did not know you when you were riding, but I always knew it was something you loved! I am so excited to watch you pick it up again and love it! Si is beautiful!
So awesome and unbelievable. What a blessing!!! I'm so happy for you!
Your pics look so cool!!! How do you do it?
That is so awesome! I am so happy for you that you have a horse again! I have only seen pictures of you riding when you were younger! What fabulous friends you have!
He is beautiful and you two really do look great together. What an amazing gift and experience.
It's been fun catching up on your blog today (at work ... don't tell). You are meant to have a horse in your life. You and Si look great together. what a fun surprise and what great friends you have. A tribute to you, as well. Mom
He's gorgeous! Enjoy!
Post a Comment