"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Thursday, April 29, 2010

new techniques...

Let Your ART Guide You ** week 12

This week is a combination of alterations, dress creations and new techniques.

I found this skirt at Salvation Army for .50 for me...but after wearing it once I wasn't in love with it.  I cut off the bottom panel because the hem was finished and made a skirt for Ella.  It is flouncy and fun.  She wore it to church last week paired with a bright yellow sweater.



This is the finished outfit for my niece, Cassidy. 



Knit.  I have never tried sewing with it and wanted to experiment after reading THIS tutorial.  My sister sent it to me months ago and I haven't stopped thinking about it.  The problem...you can't buy knit by the yard here and I didn't want to buy shirts to just cut them up.  When we were in Denver last weekend, I found some cute knit at Hobby Lobby.  I knew exactly what shirt I would use and I LOVE how it turned out.  Ella wouldn't cooperate for a picture, but it is just SO CUTE on!




and it was so simple and super cute I made another one with the left over knit from the shirt I cut for the dress below.  Doesn't the yellow just make you smile?  It reminds me of sun and daffodils!



I found this dress on clearance at Target.  Cute, right?  The style is so cute and fun and I wanted to try and recreate it.


Here is the finished product.  I think I need to add some elastic to the top where the shirt joins the first ruffle to adjust the shape a little bit.  I don't know...sometimes creating something on your own, with your own measurements and no tried and true instructions, leaves room for improvement.  It does look really cute on her, so I just may keep it.


I am participating in a MAY DAY EXTRAVAGANZA on Saturday showcasing One Stitch at a Time.  I am really excited and hope to have a successful day!  I haven't done anything to "get ready" for it yet...I guess I should start that today!!

Happy Creating!
Pin It!

6 comments:

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Ok- do you ever sleep?!?!?! Your clothing is amazing!!Such creativity!! Oh and I use Picassa and just got photoshop Elements.

Alex said...

That dress is soooo adorable! I'm sure your little girl looks so cute in it!

andrea creates said...

Those are too cute:)
You're right-it isn't easy sewing with knit fabrics,but you did an amazing job and definitely make it seem easy!

Anonymous said...

Good thing you have only 1 girl! She will be dressed cute everyday!

Unknown said...

I love the yellow one! See you tomorrow

Darci said...

I love the new additions to my kids' wardrobe that you created! The knit accents are perfect. I love the skirt you changed up for Ella too. Yeah, I think I need to start sewing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...