"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

pumpkins, tools and slime

Our pumpkin carving tradition was almost ruined this year. We picked our pumpkins the first weekend of October, they were large and beautiful. Then we had the big snow storm that froze them and 5 of 7 were MUSH. I bought 2 at the grocery store so we could still carve and 2 were only slightly soft.
The evening started with Mayon joining us for a White Chicken Chili soup dinner. Oh it was so good, you can find the recipe HERE. I made a double batch so there will be extra in the freezer!
Finally, it was time to start carving...it was going to be a long night. We love the carving books with the special tools to make awesome designs. As the kids get older...they pick more difficult designs which results in Matt and I doing the hard carving. The green pumpkin was the boys' "experiment" pumpkin that was a bit mushy and didn't bother them at all. They had fun poking, cutting and carving it. It was fun to watch all the kids dig in and get their hands covered in pumpkin slime!



The family carving away

Mayon and the kids! We LOVE that girl!



The finished products!
Pin It!

8 comments:

Amber Smith said...

How fun!!! Love the pumpkins! Also, Love that Mayon - she's a sweetie! You all look like you enjoyed your pumpkin carving! Ours will be tomorrow night! :) Can't wait!
Going to try that recipe as well! Thank you for sharing!!!

Joanne said...

Oh, those are some great pumpkins. Long gone are the days of triangle eyes and a jagged mouth and you're done! Very creative. Did you roast any seeds? Mom

Hadzters said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I will have to try that Chili soon.

Darci said...

Our Best Bites is - the best! I'm glad you're now hooked. Your pumpkins look great. It is a fun family activity for sure.

Jenni Call said...

Wow...you have some awesome designs there!! Awesome that Mayon visited!! I need to try your chili recipe too.

Rebecca said...

Well, at least they turned out cool! Love em!

me said...

Hmmm...maybe carving is what we'll do today while trapped at home for a 2nd day in a row. Our punkins were mushy too, I'm hoping the 3 we have left aren't or we'll be 'sharing' a pumpkin!

Matt and Carla said...

Wow, very detailed pumpkins- too cool...Have a happy Halloween!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...