"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Thursday, January 8, 2009

oRgAnIzE the cHaOs

I might have found a solution to the chaos that is oozing from our home! It has only been implemented for a few days...but I think it just might work! I mean...working from 7:30-4:00 doesn't leave a lot of time to get things accomplished.


I created a FAMILY chore chart. Not just for the kids. Not just for the adults. For everyone. It includes everyone, each day of the week and all the chores that need to be done on a daily basis. I sat at the computer with the kids the other day and THEY chose what they were going to do on each day to contribute to the families needs. It wasn't forced, we just basically talked about working together, as a family, to make sure our home is taken care of. I am excited that everyone will be helping out and that I am not feeling the need to do it all myself. After all, there are only 24 hours in a day...not 30 like I keep hoping for!


I do have a separate 'list' of things I want to do each day M-F...and that is working well too! I am TRYING to remember that EVERYTHING doesn't need to be perfect EVERY DAY! If I just relax and take things as they come...life is much easier! I can focus on spending the quality time with my kids instead of worrying if the dishes are done or the floor is clean. I can do that AFTER they go to bed, or not.



So...here's to trying and trying again!
Pin It!

6 comments:

Sarah J. said...

Good for you, Alison! That's great to get the whole family involved. I think too many times moms get into a 'bad' habit from when their kids are young of cleaning up the house all by themselves and by the time their kids are old enough to help, they either don't know how or won't because they've never had to! I know my Kennedy is VERY much like that. She thinks "it's mommy's job" to pick up, clean up and put away. Needless to say, I'm in the process of "retraining" my girls that it's their responsibility too to keep the house picked up, organized and clean. Good luck! But don't stress out too much... I always figure a little dirt does a body good!!! ;)

Jill said...

Good Job!! Something we try to implement all the time with Sydney, but it never seems to continue for longer than a week! She does have her every Tuesday job of taking out the garbages for recycling/garbage day. But she never remembers to make her bed in the morning..ugh! But she is always willing to help when asked so that is great! Now Zander on the other hand is SO NOT willing to help clean up! That kid can terrorze my whole family room with every toy everywhere and not help one bit to clean up...I guess that's a 2 year old! But I try everyday for him to help...one of these days will pay off!

Joanne said...

Way to go Alison! Sharing the work load will make your boys better husbands when they grow older and lighten the load on you.

Nice work.

Dad

Darci said...

Progress! Each day will get easier I hope. You have wonderful boys that can sure step it up for you.

Her Royal Highness said...

I'm glad that everyone is willing to pitch in & that you're willing to let some things go. It will help immensely with the dynamics in your house. Some days the floor just has to wait.

Amy said...

Allison - I would love to see the chore chart you came up with. I have tried and tried without any great success to have a functional chore chart. GOod luck - keep us posted on how it goes and have a great time in UT!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...