"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

house full of scouts


Matt, Morley & Drew spent Thursday and Friday night tieing blue plastic bags on door knobs for SCOUTING FOR FOOD. They started around 4pm each afternoon and didn't return home until after dark. Then on Saturday the scouts needed to go back out and collect the blue bags that have been left on porches full of nonperishable foods for the local food bank.

Matt had a youth Temple trip so I was the driver. The boys DID NOT want to go...but they didn't get off the hook that easy. They did go...and then were sad when we were done! Just as I told them they would be! I DID bribe them with donuts if they would JUST GET IN THE TRUCK! We were on time, had a great time, and ate a few yummy donuts after we were all done!




this is what they collected from our little route!
30,000 pounds of food was collected Saturday morning for our local food bank! Isn't that amazing. I hear that it is overflowing and they need to store all the 'extra' in the basement! How awesome!!!


Morley and his 'face sized' donut
Drew SHOVING the last of his donut in his mouth
Pin It!

16 comments:

Darci said...

What a great experience for the boys. An over flowing food bank is a wonderful thing! Way to go boys.

Joanne said...

I am very happy to see the boys involved in Scouting with such great support from Mom and Dad. I am the Eagle Scout Board of Review Chairman for our District and if you could see the consistent high quality of young men who really get involved with Scouting throughout their youth, you'd be so impressed! They amaze me and I have been doing this for awhile.

Dad

me said...

Don't say the words 'blue bags' to me..I'm still twitching from the four sections I did, three of which were done alone with the boys in the stroller. They said they had a poor turnout this year so I think those of us who actually did it should really pat ourselves on the back b/c we did AWESOME for a smaller than normal group. GO US! :) :) I wasn't able to do pickup but I did a lot of bagging. Congrats to the boys!

Ellen said...

That's awesome! I love to see young kids working hard - my kids need to do more of it! One question - What age did Drew start scouts? Cooper can't start til' he's 8. Is he in a community troop?

Matt and Carla said...

That is AWESOME! What a fun & rewarding Scout activity...love the donut pics as well, the one looks as big as your sons head...quite the mouth full.

William Perry said...

Looks like the nephews are well on their way to getting their Eagle Scout! I am sure you are proud to have three little scouts...while you pass off their merit badges and sew on their buttons!

Her Royal Highness said...

we didn't get a bag on our porch this year. Good thing, too - all we had to donate was evaporated milk, and I should probably check the expiration date...
Glad that it was a huge success!!!

William Perry said...

I'll be in Denver Nov. 1-5 if you wanted to do a little road trip and meet me! We could go to the Denver temple and/or do something in the city...[only at night would I be free though]

Let me know

William Perry said...

I'll be in Denver Nov. 1-5 if you wanted to do a little road trip and meet me! We could go to the Denver temple and/or do something in the city...[only at night would I be free though]

Let me know

William Perry said...

I'll be in Denver Nov. 1-5 if you wanted to do a little road trip and meet me! We could go to the Denver temple and/or do something in the city...[only at night would I be free though]

Let me know

Buckeyepower said...

What a great experience! He must not be in a church troop because they don't usually participate in this do they?

The Haley Family said...

To answer a few questions...we signed Drew up in the City troop so he could do Tiger scouts. Morley is in the Ward troop but participated with Drew in the food drive. Everyone was invited to help if they were scouts, regardless of their troop number...but it wasn't a great turn out I guess. We had fun though.

Mackay Family said...

Good job getting your boys to do that! I know nothing about scouts...I am a little scared for when Tanner gets that age! Love that you bribed them with donuts!

Courtney said...

your boys look so cute in their outfits! oh, it makes me excited for scouts.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work boys!

Love, your coolest auntie in the whole world who rules on Guitar Hero and lets you so much junk food, you puke.

Joanne said...

Good job Drew and Morley. It's so great that the boys are in scouts. I will really help them develop great skills and talents. Love, Nana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...