"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Monday, October 27, 2008

dOmEsTiCaTeD part 2

I thought I would try something, very intimidating to me.


Making homemade bread...completely from scratch.

I busted out our food storage wheat, the MANUAL wheat grinder and started the process.
Talk about a good workout, grinding the wheat takes forever when you do it by hand.

We tried it last Sunday and I was discouraged with the results. The dough didn't rise very much. It tastes really yummy...but it isn't pretty...like homemade bread should be.

1st attempt & results


So, yesterday we tried again. The bread seemed to rise better this time...but it still was a disappointment when I pulled it out of the oven. Again, it tastes yummy...but not much to look at. And isn't that just as important as the taste...the visual?



2nd attempt results

So...any suggestions anyone how to make my loaves look like this...



Stay tuned for better results on my next attempt...I hope!
Pin It!

20 comments:

Kris said...

I'd also check the expiration date on your yeast if raising is the problem.

Kris said...

Oh, and I'd totally invest in a good wheat grinder. I have a NUTRIMILL and LOVE it.

The Haley Family said...

I bought fresh yeast on Saturday, so I don't think that was the problem...hmmm...

Sarah J. said...

Good for you for even attempting the homemade bread! I haven't gotten that ambitious yet. I'm hoping I'll be getting a Nutrimill grinder this Christmas and then I'll start the process of becoming more domesticated!

Are you kneading the dough too long? Does the recipe call for baking soda? I heard that a trick with baking soda is to put whatever you're making in the oven as promptly after you mix in the baking soda to activate the rising ingredients. I'm sure with continued trial and error you'll get it right. At least it tastes good- that's half the battle!!!

APeck said...

Is the wheat old? I dissolve my yeast and water with my sugar that it calls for and that helps a ton. Have you over-raised the bread and it collapsed? But hey, if it tastes good then making it look good is no biggie.

Mackay Family said...

I had never attempted to make bread from scratch! So I have no tips for you!

Aaron & Nancy said...

I will have to e-mail you the recipe I use. I haven't ever been a bread maker until the past 6 months and we had a HFPE on it. Now I hardly ever buy it! The recipe is super easy (or I don't think I could do it!) Good luck!

Darci said...

Kudos to you for even trying. You know I don't have any tips for you, but I can give encouragement. =) Way to go - try, try again!

Hoffmann Family said...

Alison, I use a recipe from Bosch that is no fail. Two secrets are a dough enhancer which enhances the natural flavor and increases dough strength and shelf life, and the second is gluten which expands freshness, and improves yield. I buy those from the Bosch store but I have seen simalar products in the baking isles of grocery stores and Super Walmart.

The Haley Family said...

The only problem with the Bosche recipes are that I have a Kitchen Aid...and I've heard you can't use the recipe.

I might attempt it again this weekend...maybe my wheat isn't fine enough?!?!

Madison Grunig said...

Something I've done before is kill the yeast with water that's too hot. I didn't know this was possible but it is! If your water is too warm, it will kill the yeast and nothing will rise. I'm certainly no pro at this stuff, I just know I've made that mistake and had bread look similar to yours ;).

Her Royal Highness said...

I'm assuming you're using Jeremee's recipe? You should call her and ask - afterall, she IS the wheatbread expert!!!
But MMMMMMM, homemade wheatbread. Now THAT'S the stuff!

khepworth said...

Making homemade bread is a goal of mine that I have not yet attempted. If you find the secret to making it look pretty or the perfect recipe, please email me. I would love a copy.

Kanani

The Haley Family said...

Yes, it is Jeremee's recipe, and I have called her and she doesn't have any suggestions. I know I didn't kill the yeast, it was LUKE warm. Oh well...I'll keep trying.

Joanne said...

You really are getting ambitious. I think one thing might be that you need to grind the wheat finer. I've heard that the had grinders don't do the job as well. You also need to let the dough rest. I'll send you a recipe we just had demonstrated at Super Saturday. Sheila Bateman makes bread every week and uses her Kitchen Aid mixer. I'm so proud of you for trying. Love ya. Mom

Her Royal Highness said...

Hmm, did you put too much salt in it? salt kills yeast, too.
Did you use straight wheat flour? Sometimes if you use a portion wheat and a portion white, it comes out differently.
Can you tell I'm grasping at straws here?

Kris said...

When's Matt going to give you that weekend in Denver with little old ME? We can make some then.

Maran said...

Let me know if you figure this one out. I have the exact same problem with my wheat bread. I do everything according to the recipe, it tastes great, but looks exactly like the one you baked. I can't figure it out! It's very frustrating!!!!

me said...

If it tastes good, scrap aesthetics, ma'am! :) Kudos to you for making bread!!

Esther Ogden said...

Yum, I want some! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...