"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

House Tour {part 2}

Holy smokes, it seems like it is taking me forever to get the house "done".  Yes, I know we've only been in the house for four months and I am keenly aware that I have a problem with trying to get it all done so quickly.  My sister Darci and friend Elaine have told me there must be a 12 step program for people like me.....

I had a personal/crazy deadline of having everything completed before family arrived for Brayden's baptism.  I met my deadline, a mere FIVE hours before company walked through the door.  Yes, it was exhausting and Matt may have been ready to lock me up, but it the end it is amazing and it is completed.  I am excited to show you!

*pantry/laundry-mud room*

this is seriously one of my favorite parts of the house

I painted this room to coordinate with my color palette for the kitchen/upstairs.

Matt made the bench for me as a birthday gift.  I LOVE it!  He also hung the board for the backpacks.  It keeps the floor clear of clutter!  The kids can also put their shoes under the bench.

I have ALWAYS had problems keeping up with laundry.  With this new "system" I have not once been behind, had a mountain of laundry to fold or a sock basket!  The dreaded sock basket!  This is a miracle!!When the laundry is dry, it is put into the individual child's basket and they put it away.  I just take the laundry for Matt and I in our room and put away.  It really helps me having the laundry NOT in the basement but in a room where I am in and out of countless times during the day.  I can't just "forget" that I have laundry to tend to.



An open pantry has been a great change from our hold house.  It is also one of the Saturday chores to keep it organized.  I found the totes at Wal*Mart and made the vinyl labels on my Silhouette.


The left side door leads to the garage and the right side door to the kitchen.  The utility sink is awesome and perfect for those dirty hands from playing/exploring outside.

and thanks to Jane for the crayon/marker in jars storage idea!  I love how it looks and how functional it is!  I no longer have numerous half empty crayon boxes making my drawers more organized.

*upstairs bathroom*


I love this tub and admit I haven't used it yet.  I really need to, like tonight! 
The tub/sink/toilet are all antique and refinished.



*master bedroom*



this room needs to be repainted along with the master bathroom-that is purple.  We love our walk-in closet and the door to the back deck/hot tub.  I can't wait to get that filled up and functional!



*Morley's bedroom/guest room*




He wants to paint the area above the ledge BYU blue and hang a wood cut out "Y" painted white.  I think this will our project this weekend!  We just added the sports pennants, project inspired from this blog.  The tension wire/clips were purchased
at IKEA.


The closet space is amazing allowing for extra blanket storage.


*Drew/Brayden's room*


Their favorite part is their "reading nook" under their beds.  The bean bag chairs from Nana and Pa have been very much appreciated.



We just added a few LEGO posters and little vinyl LEGO man.



*Ella's room*

sorry for the poor lighting...



The only thing new in her room are the curtains.  The tall boy dresser and vanity were her great, great grandmother's. 

The paper decals on her closet doors are scrapbook papers I also used at our old house in her room.  I used paint glaze to attach them to the doors. 

*Matt's office*

*basement/kids bathroom*

also painted purple.  I have plans for this space too.

One more room.....and the one that gave me the most trouble decorating.
THE
*family room*

color palette


I wanted to keep the turquoise/teal color throughout the house and loved the orange combination.  I bought more fabric to make pillow slip covers for the couch and crossed my fingers the rest would just come together as I worked.


I was going to paint one of the walls an orange tone but then decided to just keep them the "buff" color and use my orange/teal/black and white to bring color to the room.

view from the entry way


the TV area was our biggest complication.  We were given some free bookcases that didn't work.  When I convinced Matt to not build bookcases (because I am WAY too impatient to wait that long) we decided to purchase bookcases from IKEA.  Our friend Meagan, an IKEA pro and architect, helped us with various options for our space.  Here is the BEFORE we had bookcases:


and AFTER, the view back bedrooms


and a close up.  We LOVE how it finally all came together.




This area large 8'x10' area rug will arrive at the end of the week.  I can't wait to see how further transforms this room. 



This "bar" area is where we do our computer work, occasional homework, food for movie night, etc.  I was going to do the photo collage on the big wall by the bookcase but in the end decided to keep it mostly blank as to add too much to that part of the room.


I enjoyed doing some DIY projects for this space.
1.  Spray painted a gifted gold frame, covered a canvas with left over slipcover fabric and used my Silhouette to cut out the bird design.  The design is fabric adhered with interfacing.

2.  Toilet paper/paper towel roll art.  FREE and I love how it turned out.  I collected rolls for nearly three months and it took me two days to complete.  Inspired from HERE and HERE.

3.  Goodwill lamp and lamp shade for $3.  The base was gold and the lamp shade stained and white-ish.  I grabbed my trusty can of teal spray paint and applied two coats.  The lamp shade I recovered using left over pillow slipcover fabric and reattached the trimming.

4.  Curtains made using fabric purchased from JoAnn's and yet again, left over pillow slipcover fabric.

5.  Subway art inspired/copied from something I found on Pinterest.  Yes, I copied it and didn't really come up with my own style at all with this.  I did make it using my silhouette to cut out the numbers and scrapbook paper I already had on hand a spray painted a plain wood frame black. 

Thanks for hanging in there through the MANY, MANY pictures.  I love to be inspired by other people and maybe a few things you've seen will help inspire you!  A lot of blogs/websites/Pinterest ideas inspired my decorating concepts.  Thank goodness for other people and their great ideas!

Remember my last request for ideas for something over my kitchen garden window?  This is what I found and it was perfect!  Thank you for the suggestions!

 
Next tour, my office and outside!  Trees are starting to bloom and grass is turning green!
See you soon!
Pin It!

8 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

LOVE how it all came together! well done!

Darci said...

You really do need professional help! It would benefit ME if you moved closer you know. I have all kinds of projects YOU could do for me. :) I love the house and the beautiful touch you've put on it.

Jenni Call said...

I am totally amazed at your family room! It is much better than I imagined. Can't wait to see it in person. You need to use that tub! LOL!

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

I can't believe how much SPACE you have!!! It makes me giddy for you! I want to live in your pantry/ laundry room. ;)

Joanne said...

Great tour. You constantly amaze me at all your creativity and dedication to getting IT done. It looks great in person, too. So glad we were able to see the finished product. Nice tour and great descriptions of everything.

Candice said...

I'm exhausted from the tour, I can't imagine how you feel! What a success you have on your hands; beautiful home for your family! I love all the ledges in the rooms that create their own shelves.
Great DIY projects, you rock sista!!

Valori I. Perry said...

You are amazing! Put up pics once the rug comes! (there was an implied "please" there in case you didn't catch it)

Mackay Family said...

LOVE your house. It is adorable. There are so many cute and personal touches. Love the color of your mud room. Inspiration for me to decorate my house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...