I have been scouring the Internet for new chore chart ideas, especially charts designed for older kids. A few years ago I did BINGO cards and they worked great. You can find that idea HERE. Why did I want to change from the BINGO style? We needed a fresh start in our new house that requires new chores and the kids are older now.
I found a lot of ideas on Pinterest. I liked THIS, THIS, THIS and THIS but couldn't decide on anyone particular idea. Then, very late in the evening on a Friday it clicked. Ideas merged together and it was time to set up the "boot camp" and get these kids working and helping out with the house. Matt was out of town on business so I was a little nervous on undertaking the project solo.
I had several helpers to make the project come together...
meet my Silhouette, laptop, Xyron, Paper trimmer and Laminator! It was so nice to have these items out of storage (except the laptop) and usable again!
Okay...so I reused the same large piece of sheet metal I used for the BINGO cards. I decided that I wanted to use the room checklist idea along with having the option of mixing up and assigning the various jobs to each child. In addition to Saturday jobs, they also have daily jobs (sweeping the floor, taking out the garbage, unload the dishwasher, make beds, homework) that need to completed. To help them distinguish between the two, I chose different shapes/colors for the chores. Teal CIRCLES are the DAILY chores and green SQUARES are the SATURDAY chores. The chart hangs beautifully in my pantry/laundry/mud room on the new pretty teal wall.
*thank you circles and square punches*
Each job piece is also laminated. I will eventually put magnets on the back, but for now blue sticky tack is doing the job wonderfully.
I contacted Organic Families and asked for her checklists. She emailed me and we used hers the first Saturday. They were great but quite a few items for each room either didn't apply at all or there were things missing that needed to be completed. With her permission, I used her initial ideas and recreated my own cards to fit our home. IT IS WONDERFUL.
Instead of having each dusting, vacuum, sweeping job assigned out....they are assigned entire areas/rooms to clean. So, it seems that they have less jobs when they see their chores on the board....when in reality they actually have quite a bit more responsibility. Smart, right?
After the chores have been assigned they get their "checklist card" and off they go. They are laminated so the kids can use a dry erase marker on them. Each room has to also be initialed by a parent when they are "completed", so there can't be any slacking off! GENIUS! I chose to do different colors for different areas of the house. There is one card for each part of the house that needs to be cleaned including one card for each child for their bedroom and laundry.
These are the cards for our home. When we have some animals to care for, lawn mowing and a garden to tend to, there will be more cards added.
Here are the assignments for our first day, our BOOT CAMP. Drew had a harder time accepting the new responsibility...so he earned an extra chore. Each week the Saturday chores will change, giving everyone, including Ella, the opportunity to clean every part of the house. The daily job will change randomly, or monthly...I haven't decided yet.
*click on the picture to enlarge*
After a chore is completed, they are allowed to move their assignment to the bottom of the board. I feel that it helps immensely to have the visual satisfaction that they are accomplishing their tasks.
We, the parents, are quite excited about this fresh, new, clear teaching opportunity to share with our children. I can't wait for the grumpiness to subside and for the realization that if they just hurry and get their chores done...the rest of the day is free time for them. They HAVE to complete their jobs on Saturday, as long as we are actually home. They can take ALL day if they choose to complete them, it is their choice but they will not be allowed to just not do them. I hope it doesn't take too long....
As far as rewards....I don't know what we'll do. Matt and I both feel that they shouldn't be paid an allowance for helping our family. As part of our family, they are given the opportunity to contribute their abilities to the responsibilities of the family. There may be a small monetary opportunity at the end of each week if their chores are completed without reminding/nagging and they don't forget to do any of them. I'll let you know what we decided...
Now....if you'd like more info or further details you must leave a comment on THIS blog post. It is much easier for me to reply to you that way. If I don't have your email, include it in your comment. I would be happy to share my checklists with you, they are in WORD document.
What ideas have worked in your family? Do you pay an allowance?



12 comments:
This looks like such a fun way to get "work" done and let the kids have responsibilities at home.
What are you guys going to do if the chores don't get done? (I know that's what would happen at my house...)
I've been searching for a new chore chart style too and still hadn't found the perfect idea. I love how you blended different things together for this. If only I had all the fancy gadgets you have. :) I would love the docs. Thx!
I made one of these a few years ago and we love it! The kids can easily see what they've done and what still needs to be done. And they like moving their chores to the done section. Hope it works good for your family too!
Great idea combining them all! I have all of them pinned, too, and haven't really sat down to figure it all out. Thanks for doing the legwork! ;)
I'd love a copy of your lists since you're willing to share.
As for the chores not getting done, well, there are consequences in our house. And they are NOT fun. (Zoe had to scrub the bathroom floor by the toilet with a toothbrush last night & Parker had to pick up all the hangers in his closet (that I threw onto the floor).)
looks awesome! I am about ready to start something like this on a toddler level. I'd love your notes.
Wow...and good work! I need something like this. And I really need to make it visual - I have all these good ideas of what I want them to do, but I think if they could see it (especially Ty), we may have more success. I love it and it looks really cute, but I love what it accomplishes even more!
GREAT IDEA!!!!
Yup pretty sure I want this document as well!! I don't have all the tools you had to do this but I am pretty sure I could put it together anyways! Miss you!
Wow Ali, what a great job you've done putting it all together for you and the kids. Looks like it will work well. Love it.
I love this! I'm doing it! I also think kids shouldn't get an allowance for contributing to the house and family. I think they need to get an allowance for extra things though so they can learn to handle money. I've been reading a book called "The Parenting Breakthrough" which I love. She suggests giving kids an allowance so they can learn to handle money but cutting off the allowance at age 12. That's when they need to start earning money for themselves (babysitting, mowing lawns, or whatever). I don't know how well that would go over for all kids but I really like the idea.
Hi Alison! It's Shannel! I love your ideas too! It is so hard to get into a routine and stick with it without having kids slack off or moms nagging to death. My house is not as big as yours, but I would love your ideas. :) Love Charlie's onesie by the way!
Can I please get the word document for this project? Looks like a great idea and would certainly like to try it with my family! stefanie@meyerbadenhop.com
Thank you,
Stefanie
Post a Comment