Our move to Dalton meant changing school districts.
For Drew and Brayden.
They were excited one day then sad another day. They have always gone to school in Sidney, all their friends live there, they know the teachers, etc, etc...
On their first day, they nervous, curious, excited and a little scared. I took them to school that morning so we could talk to the teachers, get a school supply list and a bus schedule.
Brayden and his 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Schmitt. There are 17 students in his class....
which means 17 students in ALL OF 2nd GRADE! Yes, just one class per grade.
She was very nice and Brayden even knew one student already!
Drew and his 4th grade teacher Mrs. Egging. There are 15 students in his class....and yes, 15 students in ALL OF 4th GRADE! Drew has such a fun personality that I know he will make friends quickly.
The first week was very emotional for the boys. The adjustment period will take a while I think, which I hope is normal. They have more homework, different rules and requirements, teaching techniques and schedules. They both have a minimum of one hour of homework each night. Drew was in the accelerated math group in Sidney but in the new school he is 15 lessons behind his old curriculum. To be moved back up, he has to get 100% of every piece of homework for a period of time. He is stressing out over it but he is doing a great job. It breaks my heart to see them struggling but I know it will help them when they overcome it. We are giving a lot of hugs and encouragement during homework and before they leave for the bus in the morning. This week has been much better than last week, I hope it continues for them. I don't want them to be playing alone at recess or left out of other activities because they are the "new kid". They are such great boys and have so much potential, I can't wait for them to get their fire back! I am SO thankful they are at the same school and their classrooms are across the hall from each other. Just having your brother there with you, going through the same thing may be the little comfort they need to get through the day.
Yesterday, was the best day so far!
They race each other home...
look at those faces!
Let's zoom in on those smiles...
One day at a time. Leyton is a fantastic school district and I know that everything will fall into place.
Our boys will make wonderful friends and they will feel happy about the change.
I love you boys! You are so strong and have tremendous courage each day. I can't wait for you to come home every day and share with me the successes of your day and the new friends you made!
8 comments:
You fellas are amazing! I remember starting at a new school in 4th grade and feeling so nervous and lonely, but it ended up being one of the best things ever! Some of the friends I made at my new school have been friends for life. You even met one of them! I met Jessie (my maid-of-honor) when I moved and we've been friends for over 20 years now. I think for however hard things are in the beginning that just means they'll be all the better in the end. Good luck! I know you guys will be great!
I can only imagine how hard it would be to change schools; you are doing a great job!!
Put some pants on Drew, it's January!!! :)
Hey Drew and Brayden,
I am in Hong Kong right now but wanted to tell you how proud I am of you and how hard you are working to make new friends at your new schools. I know it is tough somedays but you guys can do it, I believe in you! Pa
I well remember the emotions of changing schools...OFTEN. It is not easy but they will adjust. More than likely they will learn to love it quickly. Your maternal support will be their guiding beacon. Those smiles belie their joy!
Good for your cute boys! I'm an adult and that would be a hard adjustment for me ;). They're both so friendly and social so I have no doubt they'll have plenty of new friends in a hurry.
Kalee still has a hard time going and meeting new people in a new environment. I sometimes do... but make sure you are being receptive to new friends. There will be positives and negatives, just make sure you are looking for the positive rather than the negative. Think of the influence that you can have in such a small class! I am somewhat jealous of you guys. You can forget all the mistakes that you made at your old school and start fresh! Be strong boys. You can do it. We love you. -Vince and Kalee
Hey Drew and Brayden - You guys are going to have a great time at your new school. I can honestly say I don't know anyone that has changed schools more than your Uncle Will. Between 9-12th grade I went to three different schools, each time having to make new friends along the way, and often times leaving old ones behind. Because of those changes I grew as a person and learned how to make friends quicker and easier--a skill that helped me be a better missionary and student when I left home for college. My changing schools didn't stop in high school--during my college years I attended three different schools in three different states. It can be hard sometimes, but every time you make a change in your life, whether it's something you want to do or not, you grow. I think your Mom and Dad will start to see how you'll become even better brothers, sons and examples to those kids at your new school. Your Aunt Val and I really enjoyed getting to spend time with you last summer on our road trip. You're some of the brightest young kids I know. Keep your chin up, things always get better in the morning.
Love you guys.
Uncle Will
It certainly is a hard thing to move, change schools, find new friends.... even as an adult! :) One thing I can say for moving often for us is that we've made more friends than ever... and I wouldn't change it for the world (I'd just love to be able to visit the previous places more often). ;)
Post a Comment