"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Thursday, June 23, 2011

oh, the weather we see

Nebraska weather is crazy.   We are usually checking the radar every afternoon
for the nearest storm, it can be rather annoying!

As I mentioned last week that while we were on our way home from Utah, a big storm hit our town.  It came in really fast, lasted about 20 minutes and then headed out and left a lot of damage behind.  Jenni sent me a text when we were about 2.5 hour aways from home that there was three inch hail.  I asked if Justin would go over to the house and check out the damage.  He confirmed there were broken windows.  Matt and I were very anxious and nervous to get home to see the damage with our own eyes.  We didn't get home until after 11:00 at night...

I found these hail stones in the grass...5 hours after the storm.

early the next morning we were able to get a better pictures of the destruction.
Our trees were shredded and branches and leaves were everywhere!

the wind was so strong it nearly pulled the brochure box out of the ground.

my poppies were in full bloom and gorgeous before we left town.  Now they are stripped, with broken stems and struggling to survive.

screens were ripped off the frames

basement windows were broken

Morley's windows upstairs were blown out...both the storm windows and the inside windows.

and the backyard. 
After raking up all of the branches and leaves, I had a pile that was almost as tall as Ella.

Here is a picture I copied off of Jenni's blog.  These are the hail stones they found at their house after the storm.  See the golf ball in the picture?


Unfortunately, the pick up also had considerable damage but thankfully no broken windows.  It is a little stressful to have all of the damage and still have the house for sale.  Since the storm, we have had two showings..with broken windows and tarps on windows.  We get to put on a new roof, whomever buys the house will be happy with that.  Matt and I didn't understand why the roof was totalled because we couldn't see any damage from the ground.  During this storm on Father's Day...
Matt was up on the roof with the video camera and my camera...and he was able to see WHY we need a new roof...

the sheer impact of the hail put quarter size divots in our roof. 

I hope this is the last BIG storm of the summer...
but I won't hold my breath. 

Pin It!

4 comments:

Sarah J. said...

Wow! That is CRAZY!!!

Mackay Family said...

Oh my! That is crazy!

Darci said...

Yikes! That is some kind of storm.

me said...

My husband tells me that our roof has a few dents like these. We'll wait til the end of the season b/c there are others who need immediate attention and ours can wait! I hope you can get it all repaired quickly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...