The kids and I headed out to the ranch last Thursday afternoon for Mitch and Elaine's branding. We didn't leave until early evening and we were stuck right in the middle of two big storms. I am not a fan of lightening but it was pretty cool to watch the storms surrounding us. Morley told me to stop the car so I could take the picture above, he really liked how he could see the rain coming down out of the clouds.
Thursday evening while Elaine and I were working on the food for the huge meal the next day, Elaine cut her thumb very badly. It is a good thing that blood and injuries don't bother me because without Matt and Mitch there to help us, it was up to Grace and I to take care of her. We nearly headed out to get her stitches at 11:00 pm...but the nearest hospital was 70 miles away. We had to treat her for shock, clean and bandage her thumb and keep her from passing out. I called Matt at one point to make sure I wasn't forgetting any important steps in my 1st Aid. Once we had her all fixed up, I stayed up later to continue working on the food. We had nearly 60 people coming over to eat after the branding, so there was a lot to finish up. That next morning Elaine was so blessed to have wives who decided last minute to come with their husbands to the branding who stayed and helped Elaine in the kitchen during the branding! They were literally her right hand!
Elaine asked me to take out the morning snack of cinnamon rolls, orange juice and oranges to the crew! I was able to drive Mitch's beautiful new pick up. I ALMOST got stuck in a mud bog but thankfully I just threw it into 4WD and got out fast. His white truck wasn't very white and clean anymore, but it was fun! Brayden is Mitch's "little cowboy" he and left with him bright and early at 6:00 am. I took the snack out around 9:30. Brayden had been wrestling calves all morning and he was so excited to tell me all about it.
Each of the boys had several chances to wrestle their own calves and have the whole branding experience. Matt was pretty bummed he couldn't come out because of his work schedule. I didn't have a chance to wrestle but I'll get my turn at the next branding for sure! I was REALLY missing my dear Maleia all day long. My first branding experience was with her and the occasion will always be full of wonderful memories.
The BOSS, Mr. Mitch
Drew and Grace
Brayden perfected the technique enough to do it on his own!
and of course the kids found a new animal to torture play with
Morley and Grace
our friend Cordell had his little guy, Levi, ride a calf. It was pretty funny.
Siara and Ethan
One of the cutest little cowboys I know, Cinch.
I just loved all of the boots that were left outside while we ate inside.
Friday night Ella was being goofy and she wanted to ride MoJo. He was such a good dog to put up with Ella!
Si is doing amazing, so much that I felt okay to let Morley ride him on his own! Morley did awesome but got a bit nervous when Si started trotting without coaxing. He kept calm and did great!
When Morley was done I went on a solo ride for a while and ran through the sandhills. I was ready to put Si away for the night when Mitch told me to get back on him and he was going to give me my first roping lesson. WHAT?? I barely touched the surface of the technique but it was fun to finally try!
Mitch said I'll be ready at the "family branding" to give a try on a real calf. OYE...I better practice! Si did awesome and I'm excited to keep on learning new things with him!
Then it was time for a campfire and a birthday party for Grace. She turned 18 while we were in Utah and we had to have a celebration with her. She is like a little sister to me and a big sister to my kids, we just love her so much!
Si looks SO good and has finally started to gain weight! He has a best friend named Blue and it is fun to see them follow each other around the pasture.
It was another awesome weekend mixed with a little injury drama! I leave for Girls Camp in one week, AHHHH! Mowing is in FULL swing and we keep on adding lawns to our schedule and it is keep all of us very busy!! My sewing machine is on the fritz which is SO NOT good. I have a feeling the next few weeks are going to whiz on by and it is going to be fun filled and action packed! Gotta love summer!
It was another awesome weekend mixed with a little injury drama! I leave for Girls Camp in one week, AHHHH! Mowing is in FULL swing and we keep on adding lawns to our schedule and it is keep all of us very busy!! My sewing machine is on the fritz which is SO NOT good. I have a feeling the next few weeks are going to whiz on by and it is going to be fun filled and action packed! Gotta love summer!
7 comments:
I figured you were going to HAVE to post pics of the branding soon.. so fun to see them! I was also certainly hoping to see evidence of the roping practice. ;) Keep it up.... and I will be so proud of you when you drag your first calf! Hope you could feel me there in spirit. :)
Can't believe what a country girl you have turned out to be!! I think I have turned the opposite from those days of 4-H :)
Wow! Those photos tell an amazing story. Thanks for sharing the fun. You are growing and learning so many new skills. On to roping! Hurrah!
Oh my, your life in Nebraska is never dull, that's for sure. It's so fun to see your kids out there on the ranch and having such great experiences. They are learning so much. It's nice to have a couple of horses in the pasture again. Even if we don't get to ride them. I'm glad you were able to take care of Elaine and she's okay.
Way to go cowgirl! You are sure living the country life over there and clearly love it. Great pictures of the kids participating too.
I love every one of those pictures! What a fun adventure.
What a grand adventure! Si looks happy and healthy.
Post a Comment