"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, July 17, 2011

wrestle those calves

Last week we went out to the ranch for the "kids branding".  Matt was bummed to be stuck at work and Morley was at scout camp...so it was the three littles and me.  We woke up at 5:30 am and  headed out for
"the gathering" of the cows/calves.  They had to be brought in to the branding pen.  We enjoyed a gorgeous morning and a good morning ride.




Nate took a few pictures of me...too bad he didn't tell me or I would have actually smiled.  I CLEARLY need a new saddle...my backside is a little bigger than it was 20 years ago when I bought it.  Cordell is keeping his eye out for a good deal...I need one!


 Drew had fun looking after Mitch's horse.

Doesn't Si look amazing!  Nate captured this picture while I was riding him, and I LOVE it!  I am in love with how great Si looks, the gorgeous buffalo leather headstall and my new amazing set of reins!!  Mitch made me my own set of Mecate reins and also added the horsehair to the reins.  The hair is from Si's tail and Mitch also made the decorative monkey fist knot too!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how they look and how they feel when I ride!


It was time to get on with business and get the 400 calves branded, vaccinated and castrated...if they were bulls!  Brayden and Drew had a fun time participating again and meeting some other kids their age.


Nate, Mitch and Amanda


I love this "throw down" picture!!

Branding irons heating up

irons doing their job


and the final product of the brand on the calf.

I'll let you guess what Daniel is holding....

my girl, Amanda!  We even dressed alike for the occasion!

I finally had my chance to get in on the action!



Not sure why I kept getting the back end...

 
Miss Ella didn't want to wrestle, so I grabbed a few pictures of her just being her cute self.

my favorite


Father and Son

Ella just had to find toads...AGAIN!  And...Drew just had to put another one on her head.

Each of the kiddos had a chance to ride Si after the branding.  He did so great and they can't wait to ride him again!  This week will be exactly a year since Maleia and I started his training, it has been an amazing adventure.


I couldn't pass by this field again without taking a picture.  The golden wheat against the green corn fields and blue sky was just gorgeous to me.

It was another great day and I'm so glad we went!  I learn something new every time we get to participate and maybe next time I'll be roping.  Maybe.
Pin It!

5 comments:

Jenni Call said...

So gorgeous and amazing. The whole experience looks like it was fun. That wheat is so golden!

Her Royal Highness said...

Loved the pics! Keep doing those brandings because now I'm living vicariously through you and have sit here and remember what an absolutely wonderful experience branding is.
Already a year for Si's training, huh? Wow - he (and you) have come a long way. :D

Sarah J. said...

Amazing pics! What an experience!

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

Yay! LOVE seeing these pics! It's such a fun thing to see you riding your boy! :)

Darci said...

Si is a handsome horse. The pictures of Ella are great too! You are a real cowgirl, roping yet or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...