"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Saturday, July 9, 2011

"R" butte hike & 20 year reunion

Just a few short hours after I arrived home from girls camp...we headed out to Idaho!  I had just enough time to shower, unpack and repack for our trip!  The kids were all packed and the house was in decent shape thanks to Elaine!  We drove all night...and I slept nearly the entire way.  We arrived in Idaho at 2:30 am...and slept for a few more hours.  Matt had an early tee time with some high school friends.  Uncle Vince woke up excited to share the plans for the day!  It included...food...hike...food...water park...food...movie in the driveway...food...sleep.

I neglected to pack tennis shoes for Ella and Brayden...so they were sporting brand new kicks for the fun hike up "R" butte.  It was a lot of fun and the kids did awesome.  Ella did AMAZING!  Her little legs never quit moving the entire way up, and it was pretty tough at times. 

There were a few fun caves...

and an amazing few from every angle. 
Ella had a tough time NOT picking every pretty flower she saw along the trail.  We chased little lizards and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine.  Our car was parked down by those dirt roads in the background of the picture!


the kids with Uncle Vince and Kalee.

The boys were determined to continue their exploration...the girls decided to stay put and watch them.


Ella had a serious connection with Kalee!!  Thanks Kalee for being so fun!

True to Vince's schedule, we went home and ate!  Matt and I had a hot date for his 20th high school class reunion while Uncle Vince, Kalee, Uncle Tom and Laura took the kids to the water park.

The reunion was held at a cool flight museum.  You can see Matt and I on the right side...I'm wearing the yellow sweater.  Too bad that is the only picture I have of US from the evening.

It was fun to watch Matt interact with his classmates, the majority of which did not recognize him.  He would introduce himself to some of them as Matt Haley...and they would look at him funny.  Then he would say, "I'm Bones" and their response was hilarious..."holy cow Bones, you've gained weight" or "wow, you're not Bones anymore."  I think Matt could have walked home with $50 if he was paid one dollar for everyone who made a similar comment!  Matt brought old pictures to share and it was entertaining to watch everyone reminisce.

Matt donated some fly rods for their auction and he was suckered into helping out with his product explanation.

Matt with his good friends Mark and Travis

Matt found this picture in his stash and the girls insisted on doing the same pose...20 years later.
1991


2011

this photo explains the nickname BONES...

We all had another amazing day!  When Matt and I arrived back at his parents after midnight...there were a few kids still awake after watching We Are Marshall on a projector in the driveway. 


What a great day to kick off a vacation!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Jenni Call said...

I can't stop laughing after seeing what bonez really looked like 20 aeons ago. LOL. Matt, you rock. The hike looked amazing. What a gorgeous view. Talk about jam packed fun!

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

I love the 20 year time-lapse pics!! Awesome! Glad you guys had a great trip and got home safely!

Darci said...

Matt does look a tad different. I'm sure he 'hated' (loved) speaking in front of the group. Vince had some fun stuff planned for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...