"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

freakish weather welcome home

While we were away, the crazy storms hit Sidney, again.  Thankfully we had a friend, Hobbes, on call to check our house if storms hit.  A few times he found water on the floors in the living room and little in the basement.  Before we left Idaho yesterday, we checked the weather and Sidney was in a flash flood warning.  Around 7:30 in the evening, we were STILL driving home and got a call from Jenni letting us know that some major storm cells had just come through town.  We were kind of freaking out.  Hobbes was enlisted again to check on the house...and thankfully it was still standing. 

I am SO thankful that we were not home during this storm.  The tornado sirens were going off and Matt would have still been at work.  From the reports, there were several tornado's just outside of town and in Potter.  Flood plains were filled to the brim with the amount of rain and run-off they received.

This video was taken just a block from our house...INSANE!



I grabbed these photos off our local radio station's website. 



this one was taken by a friend up at Cabela's Corporate, 3 miles from our home.







these are the rail cars that were tipped over due to the 100+ mph winds...this is a half mile from our home.



This is the same location as the photo above.  I took these pictures this morning as I drove around town surveying the damage.  Nearly all of the water has receded and clean up crews are out cutting trees and cleaning up debris.  These trains are just about a half mile from our home.




So...Sidney is in a bit of a chaotic state right now.  We are SO thankful that there was no damage to our home and that our friends were safe. 


this is another one taken from the KSID website.  This is where the boys were supposed to have baseball games...they were cancelled.
Pin It!

5 comments:

me said...

Not fun. It was not fun at all. I will have to get the pictures I took up...but that requires blogging and I've just lost blogging mojo. Boo.
Glad you made it home ok!! :)

Mackay Family said...

Wow...freakish is right! There is some crazy weather in Nebraska. So glad your home was safe!

Lori Davis said...

I am so glad you guys are safe!! Tornado season is so scary out here in the midwest! Stay safe!

Katherine said...

Actually, the games werent canceled till coaches made their own call on it. It made me a little mad to think we could have all been in the ball field again, this time with worse weather.

Jill said...

HOLY COW!!! You have the CRAZIEST weather ever!! Those were some intense clouds too! That video with the siren in the siren?!?! CRAZY!! Glad you weren't home when all of this was going on and that your house was ok when you got back to it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...