"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Monday, July 26, 2010

Calf Branding...in the sand hills

I had the unique opportunity to help out at a calf branding out in the sand hills of Nebraska in June.  The church owns a ranch that is now within our ward boundaries with some amazing families we have met.  Greg and Maleia interned at the ranch 6 years ago and asked if I wanted to tag along.  Needless to say, they didn't need to ask twice. 

They picked me up at 4:00 a.m. and off we went with horses in tow to do some hard, but fun work.  We had the most beautiful sunrise on the drive out.  We had to wrangle the cattle to the pens, which was pretty uneventful (a good thing) and fun!  I loved riding so early in the morning!  I have NEVER been anywhere near a branding before, so I was at the mercy of John (who was in charge) and the other cowboys to teach me what to do.  I was paired up with Tim and he was great and very forgiving.  My "JOB" was to help get the calf on the ground after a cowboy/girl roped one and brought it to you.  I had to grab the rope, pin the calf down with my knee/foot, pull the rope off and then keep the legs part and restrained for the branding, cutting if it was a steer and immunizations.  My partner was in charge of the head and keeping that end still. 

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day...





Greg bringing a calf in


Maleia ready to rope some calves




I just loved these CTR spurs that Mitch wore





the gorgeous scenery we had the entire day.  We had already branded the cattle you see in the distance.


Since there are no pictures of me...pretend I am the girl on the RIGHT.  One foot was on a back leg pushing it out, the other foot was over the bum...so you didn't get pooped on and then you were pulling back on the other leg of the calf with all your might.  Sometimes they just laid still and you were just holding them and other times you were using every muscles to keep them still, especially when they were doing the branding.  I had a up close and personal view of the castrating...interesting.  There were 950 calves total that were branded that day, and I am sure that I helped with at least 150 of them.  Sometimes we had a rest in between calves and other times we were barely off the ground before we had another one to wrestle. Because I was at the feet...I always had the smoke from the branding in my face.  I think I actually got used to the smell!  At one point, a calf kicked my pretty hard and left a bruise the shape of his hoof.  I was covered in dirt, sand, manure and sweat and had the most amazing experience! I went home with dirt in crazy places and a serious rope burn on four fingers, and I'd do it again in a second!



I'll let you guess what the boys are playing with...



and...Maleia and I at the end of the day.

I hope I have another opportunity to do this again and maybe next time I can ride Si.  Thanks for trusting me to be a good addition to the day and not a "problem".  I'll never forget it!  I had such a great time just watching everyone in action and learned so much!
Pin It!

6 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Ah-mazing!! You are super woman for sure. Love the CTR spurs too.

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Great pics and can I just say how jealous I am !!! I would have loved to have been out there with you. One of my fav shows right now is "Last American Cowboy" on Animal Planet. You need to check it out. They just showed the branding and calving shows. You are such a little cowgirl- love it!!!!

me said...

Awesome experience! How fun! :)

Lori Davis said...

Run, calves, RUN!!!

Christine said...

Wow, that's quite the experience! The photos are fantastic and give you a bit of an idea of what goes on. That's awesome!
I deboned a cooked chicken a couple days ago, that's about as brave as I get with farm animals ;)

Titus Fam said...

AWESOME pics! That looks like so much fun. It's fun to see Greg & Maleia on your blog. Michael saw the pic of Brayden too. I just put a picture of the two of them on my blog the other day. So much fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...