"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, December 13, 2009

TIME

Pronunciation: \ˈtīm\
Function: noun
1 a : the measured or measurable period during which an action, process, or condition exists or continues : duration b : a nonspatial continuum that is measured in terms of events which succeed one another from past through present to future c : leisure occasion3 a : an appointed, fixed, or customary moment or hour for something to happen, begin, or end b : an opportune or suitable moment retire> —often used in the phrase about time


Do you ever find yourself wishing there was more TIME to get things done? Does anyone have enough TIME, really? If we feel like we don't have enough TIME...is that because we do not use the TIME wisely we have or that we have too many things to do or a combination of both?


I am not in a good relationship with TIME right now. I don't ever seem to have enough of it. I can't find enough of it to get everything done. There are a lot of things I need to share with TIME: family, friends, dishes, food, laundry, cleaning, work, and exercise. I have lists and schedules and orders and plans...but how do you fit it all in with enough TIME? I feel like I am drowning and can't get my head above water. My feeling today was the inability to breathe. I feel suffocated by all that needs my attention.
I have done a lot better recently with just letting things go lately...albeit maybe a little too much letting go. I just might have a sink full of dishes that I chose not to do or I might just have 15 loads of laundry waiting to be folded and another ten to be washed. We might have had cereal for dinner because our day was insane and that is all we had TIME for. But when the kids have to tackle the mountain of laundry to find some matching socks in the morning...something needs to be done.
I feel like I am drowning some days and pulled in a million directions that I can't breath. It puts me in a place where I am not the person, mom, wife, sister, daughter or friend I want to be. I get so tired that I am impatient and crabby and yelling like a crazy woman. I want to put myself in a timeout...but then I would lose that precious TIME to get things done. I have been trying to figure out how I can still do everything and not lose my mind.
I have many sets of hand that can assist me in the dealings around the house. Sometimes I just don't ask because I don't want to argue and I just do it myself. I need to just ask, otherwise I have no one to blame. We aren't mind readers...but I wish husbands were-sometimes.
This week I did make the decision to make cookies with the kids after school and we had fun. We also painted ornaments and played in the snow. I need to schedule more TIME doing fun things with my kiddos. I took Ella on a date to a movie and had fun with the kids visiting Santa. I want more days like that, I need to have more days like that.

I think I need to TIME block. Is that a real thing? I need to schedule out my TIME during the day and stick to it so that I can get the things done that are important. I do have nine custom shirt orders that need to be done for Christmas, but that doesn't mean that they all have to be done in one day. I do have a lot of laundry to fold, but does it all need to be done in one hour?

My mom gave me this plaque when she came to visit after Ella was born. The timing was perfect then and still is today. It hangs in my office so that I see it every day!


Many days I am quoting the plaque that hangs on my fridge that I received from my mother-in-law years ago.




I started looking for an Ensign article that would help me organize my thoughts and help me restructure. I found one (but now can't find it for the reference, sorry)written by a college mother and below are excerpts that touched me...

1. Pray for time. We can go to our Father in Heaven and ask him for help in finding the extra time we need. He may give us ideas for consolidating our time commitments or for organizing our schedules. He may grant us extra physical strength or stamina to get through a particularly grueling period. Sometimes heavenly help comes in the form of someone sent to our aid.

2. Organize your time. We cannot purchase extra hours. All we can do is make better use of the time we have. In Doctrine and Covenants 88:119 [D&C 88:119], the Lord counsels, “Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing.”

3. Prepare your time. Sometimes I need a quick meal. I have found I can easily double some recipes and save half of the food I prepare for another day.
4. Plan to spend time together.



I can try to make each day better than the day before. I can ask for help and not do everything myself. I need to breath and realize I am human. I am a mother and wife first and employee and entrepenuer second. I am very thankful for the opportunities I have, don't get me wrong. Sometimes I put unrealist expectations on myself, and I can't let it go. I know as I put my priorities in the right order things will fall into place, but it is so hard to NOT want to do
EVERYTHING. ALL. THE. TIME. RIGHT. NOW!




What have you found that keeps you from feeling so overwhelmed? Pin It!

11 comments:

Lara said...

Holy cow. I could've written this myself! How I could use an extra pair of hands right now in my life. This is definitely one of those seasons in my life where I wonder how it's possible to do it all.
I go to bed no earlier than 2:30 am every night and STILL there are so many things that don't get done...

So I beg of you - once you find the magic formula... let me know!

Hadzters said...

Isnt it crazy. I can't believe it's almost Christmas- it seems like we should still be picking out halloween costumes- Hang in there, after the holiday it will slow down, but don't let the hoiday go by without enjoying it!!! We need to throw lunch in there sometime- and that Scottsbluff trip we are supposed to take.... just adding more to your busy schedule :)

Sarah J. said...

Very well-written post, Allison. I think all us moms feel this way no matter how big or how small our plates may be. For me, it's finding the balance of what's really important and what can wait. It's hard when we have personalities that drive us to do more... sometimes that only creates more craziness in our lives. I just have to tell myself "I'm done," and then be okay with it. Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself. We're very much the same so I know I can say, "been there, done that." Enjoy the season and enjoy your family.

Matt and Carla said...

Simplifying things especially over the many holidays always does WONDERS!!!

Takara said...

AMEN SISTA! I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately too! It's kinda funny because yesterday I taught the lesson in Young Women's and it was entitled "Using Time Wisely." It was something I TOTALLY needed and it sounds like you could need it too. You can read it at lds.org manual 1 lesson 44. I especially like the advice near the end from an efficiency expert. He said, 1. Write down the most important tasks to be performed, 2. Number these in order of importance, 3. Begin working on number 1 in the morning, 4. When #1 is completed, go to #2, etc, 5. Each evening make a new list to be used the next day. I like to add 6. Ask your Father in Heaven for help. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to share. I don't think it was a coincidence I just taught this yesterday! Good luck! I love crossing things off on my lists! :) P.S. You're awesome!!

Joanne said...

Yes, time can be an enemy or a friend. You have so much to offer, just don't give it all away and leave nothing at the end of the day for yourself. Takara's advice is great. Make time in your life for the spiritual and do pray for help. When I ask specific questions, then it's easier to recognize the help and answers. I've been reading Christmas stories and that really helps keep the spirit of the season more real. You are awesome and I am so glad we had some time together last month. Love you! Mom

Jenni Call said...

My Dad works constantly under pressure. He advised me to think of myself as a car. I tend to drive my car in fourth gear when going really fast (creating friction and stress on my engine). I can go just as fast in 5th gear but without the stress. We need to learn how to switch our theoretical gears from 4th to 5th and cruise along. In my life I accomplish this by doing the best I can and not giving myself a guilt trip for not completing everything. The "guilt" is what causes my stress. Look inwards and find what causes your stress and work on resolving it. I feel your pain...

Aaron & Nancy said...

I can completely relate to your post and right now I'm feeling so much frustration and wondering how I can complete all that I need to do. I go to bed exhausted every night and feel like I just work my butt off everyday! I have all of these little ones that are growing up so quickly and I'm always so busy being a supposed stay at home Mom, that I can't enjoy them! Oh, the guilt...! I would definitely be interested in buying a little more time if you ever find it.

Her Royal Highness said...

I'm reading and thinking, "Mmm hmm. Yep. Amen." And you know what was a resounding amen? When you quoted the ensign article that said to ask Heavenly Father for more time. He'll grant that wish. On mornings that I know I need to get home a little earlier from work but know there's a daunting task ahead of me, I don't know how He does it! I actually feel like I work slower on those days but will get done 20 minutes early...
Ask for help. That's my answer. Ask Him. Ask a friend. And like Jenni said, don't let the guilt creep in. Dirty dishes need to be cleaned, but only after they start stinking. :D

Darci said...

Phew! I'm sure you felt a little better after writing this. I too am feeling bogged down by the pressures of life and long 'to-do' lists. All I can say is breathe, plan out each day and pray! :) Love you sis.

me said...

*HUGS* I feel ya. This season is crazy, b/c it is just that much MORE added to our barely contained schedules.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...