"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

holiday traditions

What a crazy week it has been! Thanksgiving was nearly a week ago and I am just now getting around to writing about it! We had our Thanksgiving meal this year at the Call's. They had some family in town and were generous to ask us to join them. We split up the menu and I made our "tradition" foods: cresant rolls, candied yams, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, turkey, stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce. The kids didn't want a fruit pie this year so we changed things up a bit and I made a chocolate mousse pie, it was so good! I was cooking most of the day while the boys played, but I actually like it that way. I can have my music playing and the house is pretty quiet. It gives me a chance to just think and recognize my blessings. I loaded all of the food and Ella into the van and head to Jenni's around 4:30 for the feast. There was A LOT of food and plenty of mouths to feed! Drew and Brayden were lucky to awarded the turkey legs to eat, and they each ate the entire thing! We cleaned up and then had some amazing desserts. Jenni made four pies and fresh whipping cream, DELISH! I headed home early with the younger two so they could go to sleep. I was exhausted and needed to put my feet up. My left knee has really be hurting lately, for reasons I don't know. It was a long day on my feet and my belly was full.

I am so thankful for so many things! I have a wonderful family that brings me so much joy and a husband that I adore. Eventhough I can be the 'crabby mom' too often, they still love me. I am thankful for the gospel and for the richness that it brings to my life. I am thankful for my home, with all of its 1920's quirks because it keeps us warm and safe. My extended family is so dear to me and it is so hard to be so far away from them during the holidays. I am thankful that our bonds are so strong that though many miles separate us, we still strive to keep in constant contact! I am thankful for health. We are blessed to have children that do not have any medical needs, not even an allergy. I am thankful for our wonderful country and the freedoms we are able to enjoy.



Friday afternoon the kids "helped" me put our Christmas decorations up. I was thankful when they got bored and I was able to rearrange and make things just a little less chaotic. I had the tree put together and the lights on by the evening. Matt put our house lights up on Saturday, which I think is a record time! I think one year they were up one week before Christmas in a blizzard! *smooch*
We have a tradition of decorating our tree for Family Home Evening the Monday after Thanksgiving. This year we did it on Sunday because our weekly schedule is so crazy. I just love turning on the Christmas music and watching the kids put up their own ornaments. I LOVE telling them about my oranaments and telling them how old Matt and I were when we received specific ones. Our parents both had the tradition of giving a new ornament every year. Our first Christmas together we had 45+ ornaments on our tree! I LOVED it! The tradition has continued and our kids receive ornaments each with their name and year on them. They especially loved looking at the little paper ornaments with pictures of me in 1st and 2nd grade on them! This is the first year Ella really participated and she loved it and just followed her brothers and watch in awe as the tree came to life.



cute picture of the kids except for the darn speck on Ella's face



Why do our "self timer on a tripod" pictures always get the best smiles?
What are your holiday traditions?
Pin It!

8 comments:

Jenni Call said...

Cute decorations! I need to come admire them! We have a tradition of making doughnuts and delivering them to friends and neighbors. It will be a great way to get to know the people around us this year. BTW, that guy you met accepted the job offer. I think he will start the end of Jan...hip hip hooray for a new LDS family in the ward

Anonymous said...

Awww just love this time of year. Looks like Thanksgiving was so yummy, you do so much!

No, that really is NOT my house in my blog silly. I can't get the hubby to do Christmas lights... next year maybe, first I need the lights!

Love ya!

Darci said...

What a fun Thanksgiving with Jenni's family. You really are on the ball with Christmas this year. Matt's quick work is impressive!
I love the ornament tradition. My kids are happy that we've passed that one down.

Joanne said...

Friends and Family are great aren't they? Can't be really be purchased with anything but love and kindness............. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving and Christmas traditions.
Dad

It's me, Jenny! said...

What fun! I love the pictures. Miss you all.

Aaron & Nancy said...

A couple of our family traditions...we have a sleepover with all of our kids in our bedroom and watch a family movie together usually a day or two after Christmas. We always go out to dinner and a movie together as a family during the holidays too. The kids always choose Golden Corral because they love the soft-serve ice cream!

Matt and Carla said...

Your Thanksgiving spread looks delicious!!!

me said...

Pretty pretty!
We decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving here. Partly habit, partly b/c if I am going to put that much work into something that goes down after Christmas...I want to enjoy it for as long as possible, without detracting from the Thanksgiving holiday. I love to drive around and look at the lights!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...