It happened. We had to visit the ER last night. 10 years of being a parent and this was our first trip...one I hope that we don't have to repeat.
Brayden took a spill of a bike and hit his forehead on the handlebars. He has only been riding a 2 wheeler for a week. BLAST!! Now...there is a lesson I hope he learned about obedience. Both Brayden and Drew had their bikes taken away earlier in the day for not obeying a few family rules. They are hanging from the garage rafters. While I was getting Ella ready for bed, I let the boys play outside for just a few more minutes. There is a knock at my door and a neighbor is cradling Brayden and his head is bleeding. He had decided he wanted to ride a neighbor boys bike...without his helmet on. I knew instantly that we were going to the DR by the look of the cut. Matt is out of town with Morley so I rushed Drew & Ella into the van, I carried Brayden and we sped off to the ER. Yes, I did give him a little lecture about obeying on the way there...we was conscience so I took advantage of his undivided attention. I explained that he broke 3 rules...which resulted in our little trip to the hospital.
1. If your bike is taken away, you cannot ride any other bike
2. Always wear your helmet
3. Do not leave our yard without asking permission
Only in a small town do you arrive at the ER and it is completely empty. The reception desk was even deserted. Once we were noticed, I carried him back to our little room and they started to clean up his wound and they called the DR on call...who happened to be our family doctor. Once he arrived, he said we had to have stitches. Brayden had been really tough until he heard that and he started bawling. I told him about the time I fell off my bike and had to get stitches in my chin and when I ran into a door knob and had to get stitches over my left eyebrow.
The DR and nurses tried to explain to Brayden how the litacane shot was going to hurt, but it wouldn't hurt to actually put the stitches in. I held one hand and Ella while another nurse had his other hand and a different nurse held his head still. He SCREAMED when they stuck him with the needle, over and over again. Drew was crying, I was crying and Ella had her head buried in my neck. He was so tough and I know he was so scared. He was a champ while they stitched him up and put a cool Transformers band-aid on. We thought we were done...but he had to get a tetnus shot in his toosh before we could leave. Yes...I have to still get the kindergarten shots done. We were in and out in less than an hour, that must be some kind of ER record. They let him keep the 'tools' to fix his head as special treasures.
He slept well and has been on the couch most of the day watching movies. I don't think I'll be able to keep him down for too long, I can wish though. His bike will be hanging from the garage rafters for a while longer.
***beware...wound pictures***

13 comments:
So glad he is ok! How cute is Ella comforting him? What a brave boy. Hopefully he learned that lesson!! LOL
I love the picture of your little girl holding his hand. So sweet and tender.
Poor kid... Poor mom!!! I have been to that ER... remember they had to call the doctor to come in for Ellie. So funny! I am glad Brayden is okay and it was not much worse!! I love the pic of Ella holding his hand and him just looking like he loves her for that. Cute kids!
Oh, poor Brayden! I am glad that he is going to be okay and that I am not the only mom who would lecture my son on the way to the hospital. =) He sure is a cutie!
YIKES! I'm glad he's ok! Ya gotta love them boys, eh! :)
This painful lesson will stick with him forever, I'm sure. The bond between him and Ella is so sweet.
OH boy that would be scary, and without Matt home! Hope he is healing quickly!
Poor little guy! I'm glad he's O.K. These things always seem to happen while the hubby is away. We had to rush Corbin to the ER while Brian was out of town once. He'd swallowed a hearing aide battery. Shudder!
Oh my goodness! So sorry you guys had to go through that! So glad he's okay!
OUCH! Just remember "Chicks dig scars," B! ;)
Poor Brayden. That is a gnarly one! Glad that he is okay. I am sure that painful lesson will stick with him for a long time! I can't believe you had never had a trip to the ER with 3 boys...impressive! Of course the first would have to be when Matt was gone.
I'm sure it looks worse than it actually was! Ella is adorable helping out her brother!! Don't do kindergarten shots! So not necessary!! :)
I showed and read this post to my kids as kind of an open-insight-reminder on helmet wearing (and obeying...you should send this one into the Friend magazine.)They are usually pretty good at remembering but ocassionally I'll see them out there w/o their helmets on their heads if they just hop on their scooters or something to just ride around close by...no excuses for not wearing those helmets for sure, so sad some lessons have to be learned the hard way! Thanks for the eye opener & example.
Post a Comment