"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Sunday, June 28, 2009

+ camping & scouting

Friday night we had a family camp out with Drew's scout troop at a "camp" in town. I was secretly hoping that the storm late Friday afternoon would cancel the plans...but I am now very glad that it did not.

One good thing that came of the storm is that we stayed in a cabin instead of pitching our tent in the rain! Thankfully, the storm did its damage and left a very amazing evening with clear skies and no wind. We had dinner and our family was in charge of the camp fire entertainment! Let me tell you...the entire camp was entertained! We did several skits and sang a lot of songs. Whether they were laughing with us or at it has yet to be determined, but regardless it was fun. Matt is SO HILARIOUS when he gets going. Someone has the whole thing on video...I am sure it is a treasure! We roasted marshmallows and I think the kids were in bed by 10:00. There were about 35 kids, plus the parents. It was a great night.

I headed out after marshmallows to let the dogs out at home. When I came back the gate was closed with the chain and pad lock. The campfire had been put out and I was wondering how I was going to get in without honking my horn and waking everyone up. So...I started to scale the chain link fence at 11:00 at night! I got all the way on top of the fence and then gave myself a puncture wound in the middle of my hand. I realized then that I could very easily snag my pant leg on the wire and end up dangling...waiting for someone to notice I was there. I climbed back down and then saw a few of the men coming to the fence. They hollered at me and said..."we wondered who was the ninja over here." It was a good laugh, they let me in and I went to bed. The next morning they were giving Matt a hard time that I was scaling fences trying to get into camp. Very funny!



Saturday morning I woke up really early because I couldn't sleep and decided I would hit a few garage sales while everyone was still snoring away. No great deals this weekend. When I got back to camp everyone was up, dressed and fed. They had already started their activities for the morning.
There were a lot of games for the scout and their siblings...

marshmallow shooter building and a marshmallow war...which Matt and I participated in with the kids. It was so fun!


and boat building and racing! The boys had a great time building and painting their boats for the Raingutter Regatta! Brayden even took first place for the sibling heat!


I snuck out around 10am to go and pick up our dry pack canning order. I am putting my flour, wheat and sugar in buckets this year...I just grabbed them and left. I felt a little guilty not staying, but I wanted to spend the time with my family doing all of the activities. I have to do it at home now...since Wal-Mart was out of lids for the buckets I purchased!
We left camp out tired, a little sunburned and full of great family memories!
Pin It!

9 comments:

me said...

That family pictures is HILARIOUS! Love it! Do I smell a Christmas card in the making? ;) I'm glad you all had a fun time and where is the picture of your hand?

Joanne said...

That's a picture to be framed, for sure. Maybe we shoud replace the Rose Lake picture with that one. What a fun camp out. Great memories. You really should have taken a picture of your hand. I hope you have had a tetnus shot lately. Seriously! Love you tons! Mom

Aaron & Nancy said...

Love the hat Matt. Is that from Cabelas? The marshmallow shooters look like a ton of fun!

Jenni Call said...

I love the gangsta pic of your family with marshmallow shooters. Sounds like you had a memorable time.

The Haley Family said...

ha...you guys know me well. I DID take a picture of my hand that next morning. It is now posted! No recent tetnus shot, sorry mom. No pain though, so I think we are okay!

I was thinking Christmas card too! *wink*

Unknown said...

What a fun day! Love the watermelon shirt, Ali!!! =)

Darci said...

You definitely created some fun and crazy (scaling the fence) memories. We'll be prepared for a marshmallow war when we see you again.

Emily Anne Leyland said...

Hahahaha and yikes. You poor thing. I am jealous of all the fun things you guys do. Such a cute family.

William Perry said...

Hey! You guys are so good with your blogs...and tell Morley that look on his face already has an owner. If he wants to pull that face he's got to call his Uncle up for permission!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...