"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Si...I will miss you

brand new- Dani Boy (Si)

Our first meeting

one of his first times with a saddle on

our first ride outside the pen

my last ride with Maleia



we enjoyed this view together several times

he really did love my kisses

my beautiful horse in the headstall from Greg and Maleia with the reins Mitch made for me.  I am SO thankful that Mitch put some of Si's hair on the reins, I'll cherish that forever.
He was only six years old.


Maleia, one of the biggest blessings and best friends a girl could ask for


Yesterday was a rough day.  Mitch called me early and let me know that my horse, Si, had passed away.  From what he can tell, he must have twisted up his gut somehow when rolling as horses love to do or a sudden onset of colic.  There was no sign of injury, he hadn't been sick, he was perfectly healthy from what we knew.  In fact, Mitch saw him the day before and Si was a happy yellow horse with all his horse friends grazing in the pasture.  Unfortunately, I was on the road with the kids for the day and couldn't go out to him. I wanted to say "good-bye" but also just wanted to remember him alive.  My poor kids witnessed my sadness all day long as I talked with Matt, my parents, Elaine and cried and cried.  The hardest call I had to make was to Maleia.  She and Greg are the reason I had Si and I feel as if I have let them down.  We cried together on the phone with our broken hearts.

To say I am devastated by Si dying is an understatement.  He has been on my mind constantly over the past weeks and I felt like I was SO CLOSE to bringing him HOME!  I could literally "see" him out my window when I thought of how wonderful it would to finally have him close.  Home.  I feel such a loss and regret because I hadn't seen him in a while or ridden him for far too long.

Si was more than just a horse. He represented friendship, hard work, new beginnings, overcoming fear, love,   beauty, dreams, the past and the future.  I feel that is what is SO emotional about this for me.  None of those things he represents has gone away, but he was the physical connection to all of those things.  I always felt so close and connected to Maleia when I was with him.  No matter how many weeks or months had passed since I'd seen him, he loved me and recognized me.  He was so amazing when he would just "hook on" and follow me wherever I went.  He was great with the kids and all of them had the opportunity to ride him.

I will forever be thankful for Greg who had the foresight and love to bring two girls and a horse together.  It changed my life.

I love you Si and will miss you terribly.
You came into my life so unexpectedly and left the same way.
2006-2012

You can read about our journey HERE, HERE, HERE, and through Maleia's blog HERE and HERE.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

Wow. Alison, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed reading about your journey and have been envious of the opportunity you had.
My heart goes out to you and Maleia.
Love you.

Kris said...

Oh my gosh Ali I am so sorry! What terrible news! I will be praying for you darlin. Hang in there!

Darcy Hinrichs said...

Awww, Alison, I am so sad for your loss of Si. I remember when we first moved out where we live and he was there. I didn't grow up around horses but I thought it was cool to look out my window and seeing him. He was such a beautiful horse. My heart is broken for you. (((HUGS)))

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss! We've been through that and know your pain. My heart goes out to you!

Erica said...

Oh Ali- I am so very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how hard your day was yesterday, today and on. I'll be praying for you, thinking about you and wishing your heart ache to heal.

Vince Haley said...

Daniel and Jesse Mae are sitting here next to me. They were surprised to hear the news. Dan said "that was a good horse!"

Joanne said...

I know how much you loved Si. My heart aches for you. I'm so glad you had the chance to do so many things with him, and make some great memories. Love you! Mom

Darci said...

When I heard the news my heart broke a little for you. I loved hearing and reading about the connection you had with your handsome horse. Love you sis!

Jill said...

I am so sorry to hear about Si. I loved reading all your posts about him and getting him to his new home. You have lots of fond memories with him that I know you will cherish forever. Love and miss you!

Jenni Call said...

Ali, my heart aches over your loss. Hang in there! I am here for you. All those achievements are a big part of you now. There is hope in the future.

William Perry said...

Beautiful post Ali. Si was a gorgeous horse. I've always hoped all dogs would go to heaven, but I'm certain all horses will. Hang in there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...