What an adventure I've had with this yellow horse and dear friends! Maleia and I started ground training Si in the round pen in June. It was really hard work-physically and mentally. Trying to train a horse while learning how to train a horse was tricky! Thankfully Maleia was a wonderful teacher and very patient with me. Greg was a stickler to his "I'm not helping with the training" mantra. We did convince him to help one day (below) and it was great. He is really the "horse whisperer"!
After many days of daily training in 90+ degree heat, it was time to get on him for the first time. Both Greg and Maleia were there for that. It was July14th, to be exact. I was REALLY nervous but I was trying really hard to hide it...from the horse and my trainers! I didn't fool anyone! I biffed it once. Got back on. With Greg in the pen and Maleia taking video with her phone, and me on Si holding onto the "oh crap lasso" we started circling the pen. Walk. Trot. Lope...LOPE. Si was a little choppy in his transition and I spurred him accidentally and he started buckin'. After a few good bucks, off I went. And down he came. I remember trying to catch my breath, Maleia calling my name to make sure I was okay and Greg telling me to get back on. My left leg was totally shaking but I didn't know why. I grabbed my boot, put it back on...and got back on. Success! Greg called it a good session after Si and I were communicating well together. As I was walking out with Si, the adrenaline of everything completely took over and I started bawling, with Maleia right along with me. WOW! Oh...and Maleia had the whole bronc show on video.
I got home, cleaned up and took a look at my leg. I couldn't figure out why it hurt so bad...and then I saw the shape of the huge bruise on the back of my calf. It looked like a horse shoe. Honest. Greg called and asked me if my leg was broke...I said no. I asked what happened and he said the horse came down and stepped on me. AH HA! I asked if he was sure and he just laughed and said he had front row seats to the show. Man...it was a doozie! I swelled up so bad for a few days I couldn't even get my jeans on to ride again. Thankfully, Maleia was willing so we didn't skip the training. She was awesome and Si behaved himself. Isn't it pretty? I had this awesome bruise for almost a month followed by a few sessions of massage therapy to break the scar tissue that built up! The end results were so worth it!
Only a short EIGHT days after our first ride, Greg, Maleia and I headed out into the OPEN pasture for the first time. Again...NERVOUS! Greg rode him out to just make sure everything was going to be good, and it was. After I got on, it was so comforting to have Greg and Maleia on both sides of me with their calm horses. Their confidence in the horse and me was contagious! Si was so relaxed that he didn't even jump when we walked right past a rattlesnake! Maleia's horse didn't notice it either. Mr. Cowboy came right over on his horse, pulled out his lasso and killed it with a knot. He pulled of the rattle and gave it to me as a souvenir of my first ride. We went riding nearly every morning around 5 am just as the sun was rising. One morning, we were running through the pasture and my "cowgirl" hat flew off. We never found it.
Matt wanted to go on a ride with us one morning! That was really fun! One of these days we'll have two horses so we can do it more often!
While our family took our two week vacation to Washington in August, Greg took Si to work at the feedlot and rode him almost every day. He said Si was awesome and loved working the cows. I had a pretty broke yellow horse when I came home, amazing. Titus's were moving in September, so Maleia and I didn't have very many rides left together. We crammed as many as we could into a short amount of time. We had amazing conversations while we rode side by side on the beautiful land. There may have been many tears shed when we had the nerve to bring up "the move". I will never forget those rides, ever.
our "last" ride together
Maleia with Sugar and me with Si
I brought back my saddle with me from Washington. I love seeing it in the barn. Spurs. I own two pair and I am still getting used to riding with them. When I rode before, I didn't use them because I thought they were "mean". Now I know that if you know how and when to use them, they are a great tool.
Si looks very handsome in his new buffalo leather headstall! After Titus's moved, it was time for me to ride all by myself. I was cautiously confident and it was great. Not only were we alone, but we were learning how to ride in a snaffle bit. Once we worked out a few kinks, it was a great time. We rode out in the pasture together and truly bonded. When I go out to feed him, he comes to the fence and waits for me. He follows me around the pasture and will run behind me if I run to the barn for his grain.
and me in my new palm hat! Buckaroo all the way!
What an amazing journey of training a horse with one of my best friends. I hope to do it again and I can't wait to ride with my dear friend again! Spring...hurry up! Hopefully I'll ride him during Christmas out at the Rex Ranch where he is working for the winter!



.jpg)




7 comments:
Gee, thanks again for the tear-jerking post. ;) I miss you, too, my dear friend.
I am tearing up too! What an amazing adventure.
What a great journey with you and Si! Can't say I would be able to do that after all these years of not riding.
What experiences that you can cherish always. Crazy how time changes things :)
Great post...Having you back on a horse is so good. I hope that time recharges you for all that you have going on in your life. Congrats for being "back in the saddle" Love ya, Dad
I have loved reading about your cowgirl adventures! I'm amazed at your bravery :) I couldn't do it, I'm sure.
He's a beautiful horse and I'm so impressed with how far you two have come together.
Si is one handsome horse and you look great on him. What a huge accomplishment. It was an emotional post to read - your close bond with Maleia and your yellow horse is touching.
Post a Comment