"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Saturday, August 21, 2010

nature's beauty

**continuing my Washington vacation posts**

Late Sunday afternoon (the 8th) we ventured out for a gorgeous walk on some trails a few miles from my parent's home.  I was so amazed at the natural beauty that surrounded us.  The trees, leaves, rocks, moss, tiny animals, noises, prints in the soft dirt from animals and of course bugs.  We just walked and walked and talked and talked.  I had a great time watching my parents interaction with the kids.  This picture of Pa and Ella is just priceless to me!


Brayden found this GINORMOUS maple leaf!


and this snail that he was determined to bring home...all the way home.  Thankfully I was able to convince him that the snail missed his family and Brayden put him back in a bed of leaves.



Then the trail led us to this old train tressel that has been restored as a bridge.  It was high and a little scary but amazing at the same time.  Below the tressel there was a beautiful river.  We walked across...holding all of the little hands...and walked back.

I took many "nature" pictures...and even one of this slug.  I have many memories of slugs...and I was brave and shared some of the fun things I used to do to slugs with the boys. Thank goodness we don't have any in Nebraska...those stories could come back and haunt me!


On our way back to the car we stopped to read a sign about safety on the trails and be careful because there could be mountain lions and/or bears.  We split up going to different ways to the car.  I was walking with Morley and Drew and my parents had Ella and Brayden.  All of a sudden Brayden comes running back to us...telling us they just saw a bear!!  WHAT??  Sure enough...at the end of the tunnel, they saw a young black bear that stopped to stare and then hurried on its way into the bushes.  PHEW!!  I wish I had seen it...I might have been able to get a picture!

Then we drove down the hill to Snoqualmie Falls.  I worked at the gift shop there the summer before Matt and I were married and both of my sisters worked there as well.  It is GORGEOUS!




the kiddos and mommy


It was a fantastic way to spend a beautiful Sunday with family!  I sure miss the beautiful scenery and natures incredible beauty in the Northwest! Pin It!

9 comments:

Sarah J. said...

It IS gorgeous here and sometimes you forget when you're around it all the time. Looks like a perfect Sunday afternoon. Send me the pic. of Ella & your dad. I'd like to edit it for you (if you'd like). It's a darling photo!

Mackay Family said...

That leaf was huge. I can't believe how gorgeous it is up there. Those falls are breathtaking!

Joanne said...

I can't believe that was two weeks ago. It was a fun afternoon to spend with you and the kids. We do live in such an amazing, wonderful area. Mom

Joanne said...

What a fun little walk that was. We live in such an amazing place, what a blessing it is to live here. I don't think I've ever seen so many slugs in a short amount of time and your boys were sure the eagle eye. Too bad they didn't have any salt! I'm glad the bear didn't show himself until the end of the walk or we might not have been able to see so much. I can't believe that was two weeks ago!

Jenni Call said...

I never knew it was so gorgeous out there! Priceless memories all around for the Haley family! B cracks me up with his love of little critters. Yum. I remember salting slugs as a little gal.

Darci said...

The beauty here is tough to beat. I love that the boys were so interested in all the fun/gross things that nature in the NW brings.

Tina J. said...

I've been there! It was 1992, with my ex husband and first baby (a toy poodle named Jo). That was a good day. And you worked there, (many years later) huh? Small world!

Lori Davis said...

WOW!! I have never been to Seattle... I love seeing a little glimpse into where you are from! Ella looks like she is going on 10!! Such great pics! I am so glad you were able to go visit!

me said...

Awesomeness! Love the Gpa and Ella pic!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...