"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

We love house guests, especially when they can stay for several days at a time!
The Briggs', Stanworth's and Shannon came out for a long weekend Friday night.  We set up tents in the yard for those that wanted to camp and the rest of us slept in the house.  The wind was horrible all weekend, which was such a bummer!  

Saturday morning we woke up to clouds and light rain so we headed out to Chimney Rock in hopes that the sun would eventually come out.


 Ah, love our new teenager and his individuality...


                                The Stanworth's                                                      The Briggs'


All the kids together

Thankfully, the clouds burned off and we had a most beautiful time at the lake.  The kids played and played in the sand and water while the adults talked and soaked up the sun!


Kris, Shannon, moi and Erica

Matt took us on the scenic drive home from the lake.  Big surprise, right?  We saw a nice variety of "wildlife"  along the way including a rattlesnake that Matt didn't hesitate to kill.  He was completely freaking me out but  killed it without incident.  Erica's boys thought Matt was the coolest guy ever!  Matt gave the boys the rattle to take home as their Nebraska vacation souvenir!  We also brought home two box turtles that the kids are begging to keep as pets.

Saturday night we had planned to BBQ...but again the wind was horrible so we did  BBQ chicken, dutch oven potatoes and salad inside and then s'mores in the microwave.  It was not as fun cooking indoors but still tasty.  



While the kids and husbands were watching a basketball game, the ladies headed out to my office to sew.  Oh the fun we had!  We were following a tutorial found online to make an "easy maxi skirt".  It was not as easy as implied and it was a late night. Kris and I were teaching Erica and Shannon how to sew in the process.  Erica and I stuck it out the longest until 2am and was a sewing wiz.  After church on Sunday we finished out skirts and were a little silly, clearly sleep deprived.


We did a pretty fantastic job, I think!  I have fabric to make a few more!


I love Kris so much!  She is always so funny and a blast to be around!

 And then.....my hunk of burnin' love.  What happened to my preppy husband?
Thankfully he put this little outfit together just to get the reaction from the ladies.
Oh, he is something else!


Sunday night was steak, corn on the cob, salad and dutch oven peach cobbler!  Oh yes, so delicious!  We enjoyed playing Wackee Six together while the kids slept.  We also couldn't resist pulling out the old college scrapbooks to take a trip down memory lane!  We've know Robb and Kris for almost 14 years now and the old pictures were fun to see again!

Monday came too soon.  The girls agenda...shooting!

We first shot Matt's .22 Beretta.  That was pretty awesome.  I have shot Matt's rifles and shotguns before but never a hand gun.  

Matt have me instructions on how to shoot and on my very first shot I hit the tiny target.  I was pretty thrilled, can you tell?

Then we need to shoot the big guns too!



After the little kids had a chance to shoot the little BB gun, we had burgers and hot dogs before everyone headed home.  We  had such a fantastic weekend with everyone and can't wait for them to come back....and that the wind will not be present!

My favorite thing about these ladies: the ability we have to go from the beach to sewing to shooting and have SO much doing it all!

Can't wait to do it all over again!

Brayden, Morley, Zach, Drew, Ella, Avery, Spencer and Bryce.  Little Everett and Jamison were a little camera shy!
Pin It!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Great post. Your dad is so proud to see his daughter comfortable with guns. Nice legs, Matt!

Valori I. Perry said...

Wowsers! You know how to make use of a weekend!!

Jenni Call said...

Shoot/Dang! What a fun memorable time with friends. You look good wearing a GUN. LOL. Nice skirt.

Candice said...

What a great, exhausting weekend! Great friends make life so fun :)

Darci said...

Super fun at your place - oh boy! Matt is such a nerd! :) I love the skirts you girls made.

Great Basin Cowgirl said...

What a fun weekend! There is nothing better than being surrounded by family and good friends! I miss you!

Oh.... and the picture of Matt in his hat kills me. Tell him that I'll send him a million doll-hairs to post a picture of him like that IN PUBLIC.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...