The morning of Christmas Eve started off with some SLEEPING IN. Oh, how wonderful that was! While I started dinner preparations, Matt and Brayden began the wood chopping chore. The first of many, many, many more to come! Brayden LOVES being outside and will spend hours discovering new fun things. He found evidence of rabbits and tried to make his own snare to catch one. It is still empty so far.
Ella had to bundle up too and head outside to explore also.
I don't know what it is, but the wood box full of wood and the antique stove just makes me smile.
*thank you boys for cooperating so well for the picture....*
The kids and I made reindeer cookies together later in the afternoon.
Nutter Butter cookies, chocolate chips, red hots, pretzels and frosting.
Then it was time for dinner.
We enjoyed a delcious meal of ham, rolls, cheese potatoes, asparagus, corn and sparkling cider. This is the first year in quite a while we haven't had company over for our Christmas Eve fancy dinner but it was very special to have a quiet holiday dinner together.
After clean-up we Skyped with Matt's parents, Vince and Kalee. Oh, that is always a circus! Then we had our Family Home Evening by reading the story of Christ's birth in Luke 2 and also watching the new video published through our church.
Before we went to bed it was time for the kids to open their gift(s) from Matt and I.....a new ornament and pajamas.
Before we went to bed it was time for the kids to open their gift(s) from Matt and I.....a new ornament and pajamas.
and the night wouldn't be complete without leaving Santa a letter, milk, cookies and carrots for the reindeer.
Santa stuffed stocking and delivered presents before midnight this year!! Each year he arrives a little earlier, thank goodness. The kids were worried that he wouldn't find us at our new home. Thankfully we had our magic Santa key. Brayden left it outside the front door for him and it was next to the plate of eaten cookies in the morning. Magic.
I am so thankful for Christmas and the reason for the season, the birth of Jesus Christ. The gift giving and receiving is fun and wonderful but it is the service that we can give to others that truely means the most. The service and friendship that has been shown to use during the past month has made me so grateful. We are blessed to have many good friends out here in the "middle of nowhere" that we feel as though we do have family nearby. That is a wonderful and pricesless feeling. My personal goal is to REALLY focus on the true meaning of Christmas a little more and with deeper meaning each year. This year I fell short by a long shot but I can't wait to do a better job next year. As the kids are getting older I feel an intense desire and responsibility to teach, share and learn with them.
Merry Christmas!!!
3 comments:
Oh man, I am DIGGING the house! The stove and wood made me smile, too! :) You always do such a great job to make days like this memorable for your kids-- I love that! ((I'm also digging the new dining table chairs;))) Love and miss you guys.
Everything is looks so rustic and perfect for Christmas. The stockings hung by the wood stove, the boys outside gathering wood in the cold - I love it all! Your new table and chairs are great too.
Love your tree! So glowing and full. Your dinner looked so fancy! You amaze me. The fireplace is so cozy!
Post a Comment