"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

fast and pray

 
From the time we moved to Dalton, nearly one year ago, we have discussed WHEN Morley would transfer to the new school district.  Not IF he would transfer.  We didn't have him change schools with the other boys because he was doing so well in Sidney, had wonderful friends and had come out of his "shell".  He was thriving and we felt that pulling him out of his comfort zone would not be a positive experience for him, academically, socially or emotionally.  Morley is a laid back kid who doesn't like change.  He is fine watching and observing.  He has wonderful friends with fantastic families who took him into their homes regularly.  He has only gone to school in Sidney and he loved it.  He wouldn't even consider the possibility of changing schools.
 
Fast forward 10 months.  We have been taking him to Sidney each morning for school and then coordinating after school arrangements with friends if he didn't have practice for various athletics.  The parent's of his friends have been amazing and so very generous with their time and their homes.  BUT, it was time to bring him home.  It was time for us to be together, in the same school district, and most importantly, home before 7:00 in the evenings.  He just was not home and I missed him.  Matt and I had been discussing it very seriously for a month or so and would mention it to Morley which resulted in tears and high emotions.  We would let it go and just say that he would be changing schools, but there was no official timeline.  We had lived in Dalton for nearly a year yet he hadn't made any friends here yet.  He always wanted to be in Sidney for one reason or another and we felt divided.  We needed him to want to be closer to home. 
 
A few weeks later Matt and I felt very impressed that we needed to make the change, now.  As a family we took the opportunity to fast and pray on Sunday about our decision.  We had made our decision and the purpose of our fast was to receive confirmation whether it was the right decision or not.  Throughout the day, I received answer after answer that we were doing the right thing.  I was SO emotional.  One reason because it was a spiritual experience and another reason because I knew how hard this was going to be on Morley and that made me sad.  We knew it was the best for our family and the best for him.  That Sunday night we let him know that yes he would be transferring and that he would only have three days left in Sidney.  He was so mad.  Tears, begging and asking us not to do it, pleading to stay the rest of 8th grade and start at Leyton as a freshman.  It broke my heart but we told him it was happening at the end of the week.
 
He went to bed after our family prayer miserable and very upset.  The next day, to him, I didn't exists.  He wouldn't respond to me, acknowledge me, nothing.  It tore at my heart strings but I just couldn't be upset for him to being upset with us.  I was causing his misery, though we knew he would do great and thrive, he was upset, because of the choice of his parents.  I was so emotional during the day thinking of him and this heartache.  I contacted his current school and notified them of his transfer date and the secretary cried.  I notified his new school (where I work) that he would be starting. It was official.  When I picked him up from school I didn't say a word to him, bracing myself for the upset son I sent to school that morning.  I was so surprised to hear him laughing and talking to me I cried.  Again.  I asked him how his day was and he said all of his friends were very upset with me too.  I think he realized it was happening and he just needed to deal with it, however he could do it.  I was impressed with his change of heart and it felt wonderful to be able to have open discussions about the changes that were going to be happening.  Our prayer was that Morley would realized that he COULD do hard things and grow from the experience.  Matt knew it would be wonderful "mission field training" to be put in a new environment.  One of the  biggest "ah ha" moments I had during this process was the impression that "a 13 year old boy needs to spend more time with his mom than he does with his friends".  Simple.
 
He came home on his last day from Sidney with all of his locker contents, notes from teachers and his "check out sheet" signed.  It was official, he was no longer a Sidney Raider.  He had a LONG weekend and we even arranged for him to not start in Leyton until Tuesday so that he could go hunting with my parents while they were in town.  His first day was a day I had off.  He was very quiet all morning, the drive to school and as I introduced him to teachers and administration.  I knew he would be fine, I just wanted him to believe it too.  When I picked him up after school, he was indifferent and quiet.  He didn't have a bad day but it wasn't wonderful either.  He was the new kid, starting a new school mid quarter in 8th grade.  That is tough.
 
He talked with one of his friends that evening and he said that they wouldn't let any other students sit at his place at lunch, it had to stay empty. They just stared and commented how it just wasn't the same without him.  That made me happy that they missed him and sad that they missed him.

He will do wonderful and excel, I know it!  We are so thankful for the power of prayer and the opportunity we have to fast and pray about important decisions.  Morley is going to do amazing things.
We love you!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Darci said...

That was beautifully written Ali. It brought tears to my eyes to think of the pain the decision caused all of you - in different ways. I hope things go well for him and he understands to have faith and trust - both you guys and the Lord. Love you all.

Jenni Call said...

I think The Lord has really done a marvelous work in your family. Life lessons are ever so tender and challenging, but the rewards will overwhelm you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...