"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

refreshing and uplifting

We were surprised Saturday morning with about six inches of snow!  While it was beautiful and actually falling straight down from the sky....it squashed our big plans for the day.  It was Oktoberfest weekend and traditionally we go to the big parade and go out to the pumpkin patch.  However, the parade was cancelled because it was also only 34 degrees outside.  We were all a little sad but it was a welcomed day spent at home, I didn't leave the house all day.  I can't remember the last day I had at home all day, it was wonderful!



The kids bundled up and headed outside for hours!  I love that they can find their own snow clothes, get ready and play, play, play!  Then they come in and make their own hot chocolate, bigger kids are great!  They made piles of snowballs, forts and igloos for the cats.







It was also General Conference weekend and we didn't miss a session, it was wonderful!  I always feel so inspired, uplifted, encouraged and loved after listening to the amazing talks and music!  A new tradition I hope to continue is making cinnamon rolls from scratch.  They turned out pretty yummy!



The kids asked for their "conference papers" again this year!  YEAH!  I found word searches, coloring pages, workbooks, BINGO sheets.  Once again they listened and it was enjoyable for all of us!
I was touched by many talks which you can watch/read/listen HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.  Take the time, it is worth it!



We also made 15 more quarts of spaghetti sauce, totaling 28 jars on our storage room shelves!  Nothing beats fresh produce and all fresh herbs!  The best part is that each jar only cost about 60 cents.  DELISH for months and months to come!  We have canned SO MUCH this summer/fall and love how full our shelves are becoming!

We also FINALLY decorated the house for fall!  It's been two years since I've seen my pumpkins!  I am building a fun collection and loved finding new homes for them this year!  Here are a few corners...
There are about 10 others scattered throughout our home surrounding us fall spirit.





The snow is now gone and back up in the high 60's.  Tis the weather in Nebraska.  We'll get to the pumpkin patch soon, I hope!
Pin It!

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm so glad you have a place for all your cool pumpkins. It's so fun to see where you put them. I'm glad the snow is gone for now. I'm sure it will be back soon. I picked a few more tomatoes tonight with a flashlight. It's getting colder at night now. Even I made salsa the other night. Yum! Nice job will all your canning. It's great to can your own food and have it stored for the future. Nice job kiddo. Love you!

Valori I. Perry said...

You have snow??? Wow! The house looks so darling! I love it :) May I get your cinnamon roll recipe?

Candice said...

Love this time of year! Your canning is awesome, too bad we can't can together. :)
Love you!

Darci said...

Your weather is completely nuts! A cozy weekend at home is always a treat though. Conference was definitely uplifting and wonderful.

Your house looks great! Oh, and nice work on all the canning. Food storage woman! It is fun to have homemade things on the shelf.

Jenni Call said...

My heart feels happy that you had a lazy day at home. I love your pumpkin collection!!! Send me some of those rolls, eh?! At least the recipe. They look delish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...