Oh, cooking in my new-ish kitchen is so great! Before, I never looked forward to it....thee just wasn't enough room to do anything. If I was canning I had to utilized my dining room table for "counter space".
Now, I have plenty of room so spread out and make a big mess!
I was very lucky to have good friends share their corn bounty with me! You can only have so many meals with corn on the cob so it was time to find a good recipe to can or freeze the rest! I also had 20 pounds of peaches to can and 10 pounds of tomatoes. I haven't done it alone before so I was a bit hesitant. Thankfully, it was wonderful and the kids helped out a bit too.
Thank you Pinterest for THIS delish grilled corn salsa recipe and THIS tutorial for canning peaches!
In the end I processed 15 pints of corn salsa, 9 quarts of peaches and froze 9.5 pounds of corn. I think Matt's vacuum sealer is pretty awesome!! I REALLY want to do more peaches and pears. Hopefully my tomato plants will produce enough for more salsa and spaghetti sauce!!
I have also REALLY been trying to eat healthier and lose weight over the last few months. It has been fun experimenting with new produce from Bountiful Baskets as well as some of our families favorite dishes! I have also starting having green smoothies on a daily basis! Here are some of my favorites...
spaghetti squash with pico de galo instead of traditional spaghetti meat sauce
*horrible phone pics)
Fruit Salad! Never gets old!
A new favorite, brussel sprouts.
Seriously, so good. THIS recipe was so easy. I omitted the chicken broth to avoid so much sodium and thought it still had a lot of flavor!
Bok Choy with garlic and lean flank steak
and the smoothie! I promise, you can't taste the spinach! So good and so healthy!
So far, it is all working. I am also training for a 1/2 marathon so the combination of healthy eating and a lot of running and other exercises has helped me lose about 12 pounds in the last six weeks. I am almost to my goal, yeah!
Have you tried canning? What are you favorite healthy eating recipes?





3 comments:
That corn salsa looks delish! I canned salsa...just made my regular recipe, cooked it, then canned it. No recipe to share. Just whatever sounds good. Green smoothies, eh?! Looks good. Did you put yogurt in it too?
Those look so delicious! I love eating a healthy meal; it always makes me feel like I earned my desserts afterward.
That smoothie looks incredible--as soon as we get settled, we're going to make one!
Post a Comment