"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."
~Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

football fever

Morley is playing tackle football this year on the 7th grade team.
He is pretty pumped and pretty nervous.  He came home with all of his gear last week and he might be ready...but his momma is NOT!


We sent a picture of him with his gear to his uncles so they could send some encouragement his way.  Matt's brother and both of my brother's played through high school.  Uncle Vince and Uncle Tom were both on the skinny side, so they could relate to Morley's current size.  It was fun overhearing their conversation and pep talks!

After Morley and I figured out how to insert all of the pads into the pants (dad was still out of town) I wanted to get some pictures...while his pants were still white!  ha ha
He was a good sport and even asked me to take the last one...senior picture style.




he even has the little smirk down!

I told him after he couldn't play anymore after I saw him with his pads on.  Of course I was kidding.  I think.  Ask me after the first game he plays in.

They started practice this week and it has been blazing hot.  Yesterday hit 102 degrees and today is 94.  Today is the first day of full pads at practice and couldn't help sneaking over to get a glimpse.

this is the 7th and 8th grade teams together

thank goodness for the constant supply of water for the boys!


Morley is #11, smack dab in the middle of the group


um...he looks so small out there with the high school players behind him.
The middle school players have the white helmets and high school players wear the black.

Then they ran a tackle drill...



He is SO sore right now and I think after full contact today he will be aching just a little more.  He is working hard and has a good attitude about it all.  He hasn't played in three years so this is a new experience for him.  Both of his grandpa's were football coaches so I know he'll have the opportunity to receive a lot of helpful tips and tricks.  He'll have to learn to be quick and smart!

Yesterday he didn't get home from practice until almost 5:30, ate a snack, had a shower, ate dinner and then tackled his homework...until 9:30 at night.  Tonight will be the same but with mutual from 6:30-8:00.  Welcome to middle school, right?
Pin It!

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Hey Morley, You are going to have so much fun playing football. I remember Will and Tom coming home exhausted, but they had a blast. Do be surprised to see a lot of new bruises all over your body. That's where your mom might not be so happy. Have fun and keep working hard. Love you, Nana

tomperry1 said...

YEAH Morley!! I loved looking at these pictures. Hit hard. I wish I was there to watch you. Keep going strong bud!

Her Royal Highness said...

Number 11! The BEST number to have hands down! It's good luck, not that he'll need it. Seems to me, Morley has quite the determination in everything he does. He'll do great!
Love the smirk. :)

Darci said...

Yikes, I mean...yeah! Looks like a lot of fun. This worry wart of a mom hopes to stick with the lesser of the contact sports for my boys, but we'll just have to see. :)

Jenni Call said...

IS he old enough to do that? LOL. He looks beefy with those shoulder pads. I had to double take at the photo with my house in the background. Hut, hut, hut! Goooooooo Morley!

me said...

Good luck, Morley!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...